Specs:
    15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
    Techtool and eDrive
    Alright i have the latest version of Techtool 4.6.2, and something has always made me wonder, what is the eDrive, and what does it do? Whenever I use iPartition, there is always this part of the hard drive that i can't delete or cut into. I'm currently scrounging for space on my hard drive, and i won't be installing a new one for a couple months, unless I absolutely need to. So what's its point?
    -Matt

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    e is for Emergency
    ...as in Emergency startup partition. It has TTP on it, and a basic Mac OS system as well.

That's it in a nutshell. Didn't you get a printed manual with TTP? Otherwise, you can just open TTP and go to the TTP Help file and read about it.

Specs:
    What is TTP? Never heard of it, i never got a manual even mentioning it. How do i access it?
    -Matt

Specs:
    TTP is TechTool Pro. It is the full version. Maybe I didn't read carefully before. Do you just have TechTool, which came loaded on the Mac? The version number you gave is the same as my TTP. But TT doesn't have eDrive capability. You need TTP for that.

Specs:
    O yea i'm sorry, i do have TTP because i do have the function to add or remove the edrive.
    -Matt

Specs:
    Ok, with that established...

There are certain functions of TTP that cannot be executed on the drive you are booted on. The eDrive allows you to use it as the boot volume so that these functions can be carried out on your hard drive.

Does that make sense?

Specs:
    Oh that's neat, I never knew that. Now what kind of applications does this eDrive have on it? Are they the TTP tools? And how can I access the eDrive if i would ever need to?
    -Matt

Specs:
    When you create the eDrive, TTP puts itself on there (a copy remains on your hard drive) and a basic OS including Terminal, Finder, and I forget what other things are in the Dock. To access it, you have to boot up normally and then open TTP from your hard drive. Then you go into Tools > eDrive and click eDrive Restart. Now you can optimize your hard drive, wipe the free space (don't wipe the entire drive!) and probably a few other things that you could not do when booted to your hard drive. Just follow the instructions in TTP Help or the printed manual on creating the eDrive.

Specs:
    Thanks a bunch, i'm going to give that a shot, and see how it works!
    -Matt

Thread Information