New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

My desktop looks as if someone drew it

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anneonline

anneonline is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Running Tiger OS 10.4.11

I installed a program from oDesk [a freelance work from home site] this morning and now my desktop looks like someone drew it. Here is a screen shot. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I am running a MacBook with Tiger 10.4.11.

Thank you so much.

Anne
QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

Okay. I changed my display preferences to 256 colors and it's easier to see and read, but still not quite right. When I look in my library I have no color in the color folder nor in the color picker folder. Does this mean anything?
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

It's hard to tell from the screen shot, but your resolution may have been changed. It looks low to me. Your best resolution depends on your Mac, check and change if necessary. If your color picker is all black, move the slider up.

PS: Do you really want and use all those toolbars???
QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

It's odd because I changed my resolution to 256 and now that's how I see the image I uploaded, which is not at all what it looked like. I have the options 256, thousands, & millions, but 256 is the only one that is clear enough to not drive me nuts. I have way too many toolbars, thanks for the reminder. I have no colors in my color picker. I'm not sure how to restore this. I'm going to try to log out and in as another user and see what happens.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I don't really see the problem in your screen shot.

I do agree with VegasGeorge about the toolbars. Be aware that many of those toolbars track your web browser activities and "phone home", so to speak. So, your privacy is dubious at best.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

I took a few pictures with my camera since my screen shot isn't showing the actual issue. This is tied to my user name only. I logged in under another user name and can change my preferences to thousands or millions and it looks fine. I can only opt for 256 under my name if I want to be able to see the screen in any usable format.

Image 1
Image 2

1.What I have tried is deleting my preferences for desktop, display, system, color picker. Then restarted.
2.I have cleared my cache.
3.I have pulled the cache for desktop and system from another user that works fine.

I cut back on the toolbars, too. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

In the first pic, I see a wavy distortion that is 'U' shaped. I assume that's what you mean.

It almost looks like some kind of electro-magnetic interference. But those kinds of issues don't really happen on LCD screens. Was there any excess pressure applied to the back of the LCD panel recently? Any kids putting fingers on the screen?

Can you do a screen shot with the color depth and resolution set properly? I want to see the problem at its worst.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

The wavy lines are from my camera. Notice how pale the screen is. It looks like someone pencil drew the images to me.

Image 3
Image 4

I appreciate your taking the time to look at this.

Anne
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

That just looks like the color depth is set wrong. Set it to 24 or 32-bit color. 256 just isn't enough of a palette to render the screen properly.

I would show you a screen shot of how it should be set, but apparently 10.6 (Snow Leopard) doesn't even allow you to change the color depth setting.

QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

That's kind of my problem. The only options I have are 256, Thousands, Millions. If I choose anything but 256 then I get the screen shots shown in the images 1-4 above. This is only when I'm logged in as myself. If i log in as another user, then it's fine. I'm just not sure which settings are screwed up or if I can even fix this without restoring [I really don't want to do that]. {sigh}
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Images 1-4 look like 256 colors to me. It should be set to Millions. Can you do that and post one more screen shot? Or are any of the existing images verified to be set as millions?

QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

Sadly, those shots were set to Millions. The 256 looks like a very grainy and dull version of its former glory.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

OK, sorry for being dense. I guess I didn't have a clear picture of what was going on.

I would imagine that you've rebooted the machine. Have you tried doing a PRAM reset? This is done by pressing and holding Command + Option + P + R immediately after turning the machine on. Continue holding until you hear the system chime ("BONG!") three times. Then release.

QUOTE Thanks
anneonline

It's hard to diagnosis an issue when you can't physically see it. I tried the PRAM reset, nothing changed. It's frustrating because I can log on as my daughter and everything is bright and wonderful. I have no idea what setting was affected by that program, but as soon as it opened my screen turned to that bright white mess and I haven't been able to fix it. I did the Command+S thing too with no luck. I need to dig out my restore disk and see if that can repair the issue without a system restore.

I do appreciate your help.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

How about this?

Create a new user account for yourself. Go out to the old user account using Finder and copy all of the needed data from it. Then delete the old user account.

If it's user specific, that will likely be the best way to correct it.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New imac quad core i7 running extremely slow with Maya 2010 | Photoshop CS4: Checking System Profile freeze »