New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox CPU and heat!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

didn't know whether to put this post in the notebook area or the Apps zone, I chose here, hope it fits?!

What experience have people had of the heat issues and/or high CPU loads using Firefox browser?

I was having a nightmare the other night with my system getting hot and the system hanging and freezing whilst using Facebook on Firefox, I Googled the issue and discovered that there seems to be an issue with certain laptops and OSX (especially small laptops like my MBP 2009 13") Just wondered what experiences other Mac users on here have had?

Since last night I've moved back to Safari and ditched Firefox now. Any thoughts?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I've never had Firefox hang and heat up on me, and I usually have 20+ tabs open at one time. This is also on a White MB.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
trump425

trump425 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 5.1 (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Mac OS X 10.6.3)

I've never had any issues with heat, either. And, like CrimsonRequiem, I occasionally have upwards of 20 tabs open at once.

"The Vulcan Neck Pinch is not half as powerful as the Vulcan Groin Kick, but it's more politically correct."
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

Very odd, I was just browsing and getting really hot Firefox: Heat and the CPU usage problem | Nanotech - The Circuits Blog - CNET News This link seems to talk about it.

Today on Safari I've not had the issue and just browsing my CPU is at 48C pretty constant. Strange...

Thanks for replying.
QUOTE Thanks
trump425

trump425 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 5.1 (2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 running Mac OS X 10.6.3)

Hmm. That is strange. My Macbook (specs in the sidebar underneath my name) has been running all day and I've been using Firefox for around 8 hours straight and the temp doesn't go higher than 61C.

"The Vulcan Neck Pinch is not half as powerful as the Vulcan Groin Kick, but it's more politically correct."
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

I certainly have never had it. I prefer Safari anyway, but have had probably 30 tabs at once in Firefox.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What was the CPU temp when Firefox was acting up?
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Are you only on Facebook when this happens? And as dtravis7 said, what was your temp? CPU usage? It would be best to know how much higher than usual everything was.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

yes, on facebook... I think the temp got up to about 65/70 and that was only browsing/using facebook, no flash running or anything else. But the system was lagging and freezing, which it doesn't usually do at the temp.

I often wonder why my fan doesn't speed up when my machine gets hotter, it just seems to stick where it is and let the heat build??? I tried SMCFANCONTROL which works, but I hate it that it's all very manual, I am giving fancontrol a go too, that seems to do what I would expect the Macbook Pro to do automatically? Any thoughts on that too, or am I asking too much at once?

Now, using Safari and browsing/facebook it seems to tick over at 50/51 C. I wondered whether I needed to do a SMC reset or something or are the MBPs 13" just hot runners?

In summery; facebook on Firefox bumps my heat up 10-20 C higher!! But am curious about fan and heat in general really if anyone has any insight?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
grabur

grabur is on a distinguished road

I have an old powerbook g4, had serious issues in the past with ff and flash. Tried ff 3.6 last night and the fan goes crazy. Not even surfing. Shame; back to Opera which is always magic.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabur View Post
... back to Opera which is always magic.
After my own taste

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Interesting...I'm running Firefox 3.6...and I had two Flash heavy websites open and running at the same time. I only had 3 tabs open at the time but the fans didn't go crazy like they usually do sitting at 62°C which is pretty low. Considering I had a lot of other programs running at the same time.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

CR, since he said he was running a Powerbook which is Power PC, maybe there is some issue with 3.6 and PowerPC code.

I have been testing 3.6 on my iMac G5 2.1Ghz and it's pretty solid but my iMac G5 is a lot faster than any G4 I have used and I never check temps on my iMac either.

Also maybe it's an OSX issue on his Powerbook causing the problem.
QUOTE Thanks
grabur

grabur is on a distinguished road

i tried replacing flash with a beta. That started to crash opera - normally stable. So replaced with latest 'stable' flash. Then couldn't repeat in ff 3.6. Just had opera gobble cpu - one page - one crap flash banner! Batteries don't stand a chance.

1.5gz g4 10.4.11 - flash 10,0,42,34
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

The Flash beta is very rough around the edges. I had never seen Opera crash so much when I had it installed. That said, it was much better on the CPU usage. Here's to hoping that Flash 10.1 can undo many of the problems that plague Flash 10. You're better off using Flash 10 and finding ways around using it such as using a Flash blocker.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail notifier password woes | iTunes update trashes custom icon? »