Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: browser hassle

  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2010
    Posts
    26
    browser hassle
    I'm new to Mac, so excuse my lack of Mac terminology or knowledge. I have recently installed Google Chrome and am enjoying it, but one thing that is odd, is that every time I click the icon on my dock, it pops up the window from when I installed it (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for me to drag it into) in addition to the browser window. It only does this in my profile. In my wifes profile it only opens the browser window. It's just a slight annoyance, but one that I'd like to eliminate and know why it happened...did I attempt to install Chrome twice? or?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Raz0rEdge's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 17, 2009
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    8,612
    Specs:
    27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 6S, iPod Nano 7th GeniPad 3
    How exactly did you install Chrome? You should've downloaded the DMG file from Google and opened that, and from there you should've copied the Chrome application to your Applications folder (for all accounts) and then you can drag Chrome from the Applications folder to your Dock to make it stick there..

    Regards

  3. #3


    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2010
    Posts
    26
    That sounds like what I did, but it was the first day with the new toy, so I may not have realized it was installed and added a step or two...tough to say really.

    I have tried to drag this box/window to the trash, but it won't allow me to. Is there another way for me to only dispose of this window, while keeping my existing Chrome untouched?

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2010
    Posts
    26
    It's actually the Finder window that opens along with the browser. ANy ideas how I can fix this?

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Jan 17, 2010
    Posts
    1,466
    Specs:
    2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdcan View Post
    I have recently installed Google Chrome and am enjoying it, but one thing that is odd, is that every time I click the icon on my dock, it pops up the window from when I installed it (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for me to drag it into) in addition to the browser window.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdcan View Post
    It's actually the Finder window that opens along with the browser. ANy ideas how I can fix this?
    It's looks like you didn't actually install Chrome properly. The confusing thing is that you can actually run applications from the "installer" file you downloaded. The reason is that Mac applications are basically self-contained so all you really do is copy the application over to your applications folder in order to properly "install" them.

    So bring up that Finder folder again (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for you to drag it into) and then drag the Chrome icon off the dock. Now drag the Chrome icon in Finder into your Applications folder to install. Double click the Chrome icon in your Applications folder and it will open up Chrome and also show it in the Dock. Now you can move the Chrome Dock icon wherever you want it or the other way is to drag the icon from your Applications folder to the Dock.

    What you shouldn't do is drag the icon from the first Finder window into the Dock because that's not installing the application. That creates a shortcut to the installer and remember you can use the program from the installer. You probably did this the first time. FYI dragging anything to the Dock just creates a shortcut for it so it seems you just made a shortcut to the installer and not the actual program in your Applications folder.

    To keep yourself from being confused in the future just remember that you should always copy/drag every new application to your applications folder in order to "install" it properly. From there you can either just double click the icon to open the application or drag its icon to the Dock to make a shortcut.

  6. #6

    CrimsonRequiem's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jul 24, 2008
    Posts
    6,004
    Specs:
    MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
    Quote Originally Posted by craigdcan View Post
    That sounds like what I did, but it was the first day with the new toy, so I may not have realized it was installed and added a step or two...tough to say really.

    I have tried to drag this box/window to the trash, but it won't allow me to. Is there another way for me to only dispose of this window, while keeping my existing Chrome untouched?


    The reason why it wont let you delete the file is because it's in use. Which means that you only opened the google chrome browser from the dmg and didn't actually install it.
    死神はリンゴしか食べない。

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jan 14, 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
    It's looks like you didn't actually install Chrome properly. The confusing thing is that you can actually run applications from the "installer" file you downloaded. The reason is that Mac applications are basically self-contained so all you really do is copy the application over to your applications folder in order to properly "install" them.

    So bring up that Finder folder again (the one where it shows the Chrome icon and the applications folder for you to drag it into) and then drag the Chrome icon off the dock. Now drag the Chrome icon in Finder into your Applications folder to install. Double click the Chrome icon in your Applications folder and it will open up Chrome and also show it in the Dock. Now you can move the Chrome Dock icon wherever you want it or the other way is to drag the icon from your Applications folder to the Dock.

    What you shouldn't do is drag the icon from the first Finder window into the Dock because that's not installing the application. That creates a shortcut to the installer and remember you can use the program from the installer. You probably did this the first time. FYI dragging anything to the Dock just creates a shortcut for it so it seems you just made a shortcut to the installer and not the actual program in your Applications folder.

    To keep yourself from being confused in the future just remember that you should always copy/drag every new application to your applications folder in order to "install" it properly. From there you can either just double click the icon to open the application or drag its icon to the Dock to make a shortcut.

    Worked like a charm! Thanks very much for your detailed instructions!

    -Craig

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2011, 03:55 PM
  2. Upgrading iBook with OS X 10.3 - possible/worth the hassle?
    By Matt McBride in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2010, 05:42 PM
  3. Virtualization on a mini -- worth the hassle?
    By Big Dan in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 04:31 AM
  4. Hassle-free backup comes to Mac
    By kaidomac in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-21-2007, 08:23 AM
  5. How exactly is Mac good for multimedia? Kind of a hassle
    By d_rock in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •