New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problems installing OnyX

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

belcher86

belcher86 is on a distinguished road

Hello I'm a new poster but often pop in if i have a problem.

I currently have an Issue attempting to install OnyX on my Macbook (10.5.8). I could not find a fix posted elsewhere so thought I would try my luck here!

I drag the application from the Disk Image into my application folder without any issue, however, the problem arises when i attempt to open the programme. I get a 'OnyX quit unexpectedly' and attempt to relaunch without success. I have reset the settings which also didn't seem to help.

I have also tried to run the programme on a different account to no avail. I am fairly new to macs and have run out of things to try!

Hope someone can help!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Which version of Onyx? 2.0.6 is the latest version for Leopard.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Need to make sure you downloaded the correct version of Onyx. They have a separate download for each version of OS X.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

And how are you dragging the image from the .dmg file? Double click the .dmg file and it will open with Stuffit Expander showing the Onyx application and an Application folder in the window, simply drag Onyx into the Application folder within the window.
QUOTE Thanks
Jinpa88

Jinpa88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 2.4GHz iMac, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HD

I've encounter the same exact problem last night (01/13/10). And then the same exact problem when I tried to open App Zapper, which has worked perfectly in the past.

Now neither work.

Harry B. that's exactly how I installed it and it won't run. I admit I don't know how to uninstall a program (and everything behind it) cleanly, without AppZapper.
Edit - It's version 2.1.3, from Apple's site.

~ Let us not go gently to the endless Winter night.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Stick with third party application removal software, it's more efficient, and safer. Two more to consider - CleanApp (my pick) and AppCleaner.

I suspect a Permissions issue here, but Onyx is the application best suited to repair them!!! You (both belcher and Jinpa) can repair Permissions from Disk Utility. You should try that first.

I believe belcher was actually doing as Harry said, but he just didn't mention the disk image window.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Jinpa88

Jinpa88 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" 2.4GHz iMac, 2Gb RAM, 250Gb HD

I contacted the App Zapper people and found out when I downloaded their upgrade it was only compatible on OS 10.6 (which I'm not running) so I'm guessing it's an OS compatibility issue. They suggested I go back to an earlier version of AppZap, which I did, and used it to get Onyx off of the computer.

~ Let us not go gently to the endless Winter night.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« word 2008 reporting error upon close | Need a simple shopping list »