New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

HELP! Super slow browser

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Imacer

Imacer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5, 2.1 GHz, 2.5 GB DDR2 SDRAM, 250 GB hard drive, OS X 10.4.11

Imac G5 2.1 GHz, 2.5 GB Ram, OSX 10.4.11, I use Safari 4.0.4 and have a high, high speed ADSL internet connection. My browser is super slow, some movie trailers run so jerky that they are not worth viewing and even online board games crawl. I have tested my connection with my Internet provider and its speed is high so it appears that the slowdown is in my Mac, my software has the latest updates. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Imacer.
QUOTE Thanks
Tony10DJ

Tony10DJ is on a distinguished road

You could try tu uninstall Safari and the reinstall it. I had a somehow simillar problem like you with Mozilla Firefox, and te reinstall worked for me.
You may also want to look around in the Preferences menu. Just in case something is setted wrong, you will find it there, or you may use the Restore Defaults option.

Hope I could help you!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Flash. Make sure you have the version of it appropriate to Tiger. I think it's V 10.

Next - empty Safari's Cache.

Third option - try a different browser to see if the problem persists.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Imacer

I have repaired permissions and that showed no improvement. When I went to Verify Disk it showed errors and said the disk needed repair but the Verify Disk utility quits at the end of its task and the Repair Disk button does not go hot so I have my hard disk in need of repair and the repair utility will not work! Any ideas? (I have not reinstalled my browser yet, I did reset Safari and it's the current update).
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

MacOS Disk Utility will not repair a startup volume, so you need to use your Install (or Restore) Disk. Boot from it, and then run Disk Utility > Verify > Repair - from the disk.

If you don't have the Install disk, things get a little complicated, but the best thing out there is Disk Warrior - but it's expensive. In your situation, if DW is necessary, take your Mac to a technician who has DW to use, it may be cheaper that way.

Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
Imacer

I inserted my install disk and the only option I could see was reloading either all or partial of Mac OS X and associated apps. I chickened out because I have not backed up my files recently and do not want to lose anything as is cautioned in the read-me file. I did not see a utility folder in the file choices. I think a backup and total reinstall might be my best choice? I was hoping for an easier fix for the moment, life has me running right now. Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imacer View Post
I inserted my install disk and the only option I could see was reloading either all or partial of Mac OS X and associated apps.
After putting in the Install disk, the default action always takes you to reinstalling the OS. What you need to do is ignore that, and click (I think) Utilities, in the top menu bar, followed by Disk Utilities. Then you can run Verify and Repair from there.

Quote:
I think a backup and total reinstall might be my best choice?
Certainly, a backup would be advisable - something I'm not too good at doing myself!!!

If repair, as advised above, isn't going to work for you, then reinstalling is probably the option to take. However, it may not fix what is wrong with the hard drive, so repair and then reinstall would be what I'd do.

QUOTE Thanks
Imacer

Good advice and taken! Thanks hughvane.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

And is the browser quicker now, or are you still troubleshooting that?
QUOTE Thanks
Imacer

Safari is still dead slow.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

As per earlier advice, have you tried another browser? Give one a try to see if this is browser specific or there is something wrong with your connection/network settings. The issue could also be a slow DNS server. Try setting up your machine with OpenDNS.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
FasterPussyCat

FasterPussyCat has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB

The default response for many ISP's, "The problem is your computer"
QUOTE Thanks
Imacer

Hi all,
I found the utilities folder in a folder called "Etc" on disk one of my install disks and it would not run Verify or Repair Disk. It would run Repair Permissions but the verify and repair disk buttons were not hot.
Imacer.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Convert .NCO backup files | Distraction blocker apps »