Pages not opening ms word files!
    I just installed iWork & have been using Pages, am able to save documents as .doc, but am unable to open those MS Word files. I checked the "permission" window and it says I can "read and write", yet whenever I try to open the files I get "The document ___ couldn't be opened"

Any ideas?

Specs:
    27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S
    Welcome to the Forum. First try to get another copy of same file in case it is corrupt. Are you sure it is a Word file? Which are you on Pages 08 or 09. I have had no issue with M$ files importing with P 08 and then later with P 09 so see if u can test with a buddy who also has Pages. How are u opening them? Will they open in Text Edit - wont have any formatting or make sense but will go some way to showing they are readable.

Specs:
    MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
    Do you have iWork 08 or 09? With 08 you can import Word but cannot change it to doc/docx , you need 09 for that

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    In addition to the version question, I have another. I'd like you to clarify what is going on. Here's what I understand: You go into Pages '0x and start with a blank document, then you do a SaveAs and select .doc as the format. Now, you close the file, but when you come back to it later, Pages will not open it. Is that right?

Pages problem!
    Thanks for your help.
    I have Pages 09. No, the files are not corrupted, and can be opened with TextEdit (which i hate having to use). The problem is exactly as you understood: I go into Pages '09 and start with a blank document, then save it as .doc, and when I come back to it later Pages will not open it. Pages will not open ANY .doc file at all, whether created in Pages & saved or created in Word and copied to my computer. This is unusual, right?

Specs:
    27" 5K iMac, 3.3GHz, 256GB Flash Storge, 16GB memory and OS X.11.3.
    Look for a copy of Office 2008. As much as the product is maligned in some quarters it is the best word processor for the Mac.

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Look for a copy of Office 2008. As much as the product is maligned in some quarters it is the best word processor for the Mac.
    Amen to that! I've tried everything from the free "Bean" (which is actually fairly good), iWork08, Open Office, you name it, and always return to MS Office 2008. It just works....

Regards.

Is it snow leopard, my colleague in work had all kinds of problems with microsoft formats on SL until he did a software update which fixed everything.

Specs:
    Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rector View Post
    . The problem is exactly as you understood: I go into Pages '09 and start with a blank document, then save it as .doc, and when I come back to it later Pages will not open it. Pages will not open ANY .doc file at all, whether created in Pages & saved or created in Word and copied to my computer. This is unusual, right?
    Right. Apple - iWork - Pages - Create beautiful documents in minutes.

Note the claim on the far right, just under the MacBook image.

Perhaps your Pages plist file is damaged.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPhone 3GS Note 8!
    I have 5 Microsoft Word .DOC files open in Pages 09 and not one that would not open. I agree with toMACsh, there is an issue. Maybe the plist.

Not belittling the excellent advise by the other posters, but just stating when no DOC file opens in Pages 09, something is wrong.

Thread Information