New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Getting my iBook today!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EvoMac

Today I will be picking up my iBook from someone on the buy /sell section here. It's going to be nice having a laptop around, I just have a couple of questions for you iBook owners.

1) Any apps that are "must haves" for the iBook - ie I've seen quite a few ss's of people having a signal strenth indication on the top bar in OS X.

2) The 30gb drive is a little small, is it possible to install a program on a external drive (via ntfs file share or external hdd) and run it on the iBook?

3) One nice feature I've come use to with my mini is that when the mini is off it still charges my iPod via firewire, will the iBook do the same thing?

4) Is their a big performance jump in OS X performance with Tiger or is it best to hold off on that?

5) I have some preferences I would like to backup from OS X, where are internet favorites stored for Safari and Camino?

- Sorry for the long list, I'm just thinking of things off the top of my head to get my iBook up and running asap. Thanks in advance as always :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

Quote:
Originally Posted by itloser
Today I will be picking up my iBook from someone on the buy /sell section here. It's going to be nice having a laptop around, I just have a couple of questions for you iBook owners.

1) Any apps that are "must haves" for the iBook - ie I've seen quite a few ss's of people having a signal strenth indication on the top bar in OS X.

2) The 30gb drive is a little small, is it possible to install a program on a external drive (via ntfs file share or external hdd) and run it on the iBook?

3) One nice feature I've come use to with my mini is that when the mini is off it still charges my iPod via firewire, will the iBook do the same thing?

4) Is their a big performance jump in OS X performance with Tiger or is it best to hold off on that?

5) I have some preferences I would like to backup from OS X, where are internet favorites stored for Safari and Camino?

- Sorry for the long list, I'm just thinking of things off the top of my head to get my iBook up and running asap. Thanks in advance as always :mac:
---
answer--
1)the stength indicator in the menu bar isin the OS it self you can turn it on under in the system prefs under network tab.

2) yes

3)the firewire port still works will the ibook is asleep

4)according the the benchmarks i seen the ibook didnt not see a performance jump with the release of tiger.

5) the bookmarks plist is stored in home//library//safari
i dont have camio installed but i imanginethe book marks would be in the same place.
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

Thanks for prompt reply. Just 1 quick followup for #3, what if the iBook was powered off (not sleep) but still connected to a power supply, would the iBook still have an active firewire port like the mini?
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

only one way to find out
i will be right back let me kill my ibook and see
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

ok it does charge while the ibook is turned off
QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

[sarcasm]McAffee Virex[/sarcasm]

QUOTE Thanks
macAttack

macAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the roughmacAttack is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iBook

an absolute must have is iscroll it let's use trackpad scroll like in the new powerbooks

http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

Quote:
Originally Posted by macAttack
an absolute must have is iscroll it let's use trackpad scroll like in the new powerbooks

http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/
ditto!!! i love iScroll

QUOTE Thanks

Sticky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" iBook G4

[QUOTE=EvoMac1) Any apps that are "must haves" for the iBook - ie I've seen quite a few ss's of people having a signal strenth indication on the top bar in OS X.[/QUOTE]

SideTrack, Transparent dock.

-- 15GB 3G iPod (The Best One) - iPod Dock --
-- iBook G4 - 1.2Ghz - 30GB HD - 256MB RAM - Bluetooth - BT Apple Mouse --

QUOTE Thanks
EvoMac

I had side track installed until I saw the post for iScroll. I like iScroll a bit better, although I liked the option of sidetrack assign "hotkey corners".

The double finger scrolling outweights that in my opinion and it has the perfect pricepoint... free :mac:
QUOTE Thanks
chouk

chouk is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook g4, 14'', 1.33 Ghz, 60gig, 768ram, Mac OsX 10.4.3

1.menustrip.

2.usb overdrive.

it helps me disactivate the acceleration system for the mouse. it might help if you using a mouse and aplpication like photoshop etc..

3.nyways, you shall see a lot of other application on the apple software section or softpedia.com
QUOTE Thanks
Ey3 D

If you are gonna run any games, I would suggest Call of Duty. Play it directly from the DVD (don't even have to install!) and it runs great on my iBook. Good choice and good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Word X | Entourage 2001? »