New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Need to make a list of music files in a folder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jufjo

jufjo is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I am looking for a (free) way to make a text file list of (music) files in a folder.
So I can make a tracklist of my large music collection.
Any tips?
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jufjo View Post
Hello,

I am looking for a (free) way to make a text file list of (music) files in a folder.
So I can make a tracklist of my large music collection.
Any tips?
Yes.
Print a List of Files on your Mac

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Open up a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities) and type the following:
Code:
ls -R ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music > ~/Desktop/files.txt
That will create a file on your desktop called "files.txt" that will list all of the folders and each of the files in each folder in your iTunes folder. Does that work?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Does that work?
I was curious to be able to do this to van but in short no.
Bought up a blank document. The file was there on desktop but opened to a empty page ....

Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It should work if you have all your music in the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder. Where do you keep your music?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Well any i get goes straight into iTunes (app) so by default they should be, shouldnt they ??

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

du -arh Music/iTunes/iTunes\ Music > ~/Desktop/files.txt

prints it in a little bit more logical pattern for me.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Ahhh just had a look and NO it isnt its in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music

So if i go
Code:
ls -R ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes media\ Music > ~/Desktop/files.txt
Will that work ??

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Open the folder in the Finder.
Edit > Select All
Edit > Copy
Switch to a text editor like TextWrangler, BBEdit, or TextMate. Don't use Word. If you use TextEdit, make sure you have a plain text document open.
Edit > Paste

Some of you guys like to run to the Unix command line so often, I wonder why you even bother owning a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Edit > Select All
Edit > Copy
Switch to a text editor like TextWrangler, BBEdit, or TextMate. Don't use Word. If you use TextEdit, make sure you have a plain text document open.
Edit > Paste

Some of you guys like to run to the Unix command line so often, I wonder why you even bother owning a Mac.
Thanks for that techno ... Is why I asked above if the code i had was right BC honestly i not a fan of Terminal just yet.. And before i used it wanted to know so i didnt crash the system because i did something in Terminal that would have...

Cheers that seems easy enough

MoTM ☆☆☆
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Edit > Select All
Edit > Copy
Edit > Paste
Thanks for that. Exactly what I was thinking when I clicked to open this thread. Then I saw the more difficult answers. Had me wondering.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier. If all these songs are in iTunes, just print the list out from there. You'd get a more detailed listing as a bonus.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

Quote:

Because it's Unix with real application support. Some of us guys develop in a Unix command line all so we spend so much time there that the GUI seems so completely inefficient for things like file management it's pathetic. Usually, I'd manipulate the snot out of the output using awk and sed.. putting the data together in exactly the way i want.. then I can import it into a spreadsheet without making any modifications. All from one command.

mike
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
Because it's Unix with real application support. Some of us guys develop in a Unix command line all so we spend so much time there that the GUI seems so completely inefficient for things like file management it's pathetic. Usually, I'd manipulate the snot out of the output using awk and sed.. putting the data together in exactly the way i want.. then I can import it into a spreadsheet without making any modifications. All from one command.
That's no excuse for directing a n00b to use a jackhammer when a rolled up newspaper would do.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Of course, I could say the same thing about the absolute FEAR of the command line. There's nothing an ls command can do to hurt, and in the end they might just learn something. There is also no reason, really, to decide that your way is SOOOO much better than someone else's that you decide to question not just why they bother to do something differently, but why they even bother to own a Mac. So ridiculous, and really so pretentious that I'm flabbergasted. There are always multiple solutions to these types of issues, habits, workflow etc etc all play into it. At least a reasonable solution was provided.

mike
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Video Editing | Macbook Pro running slow on Background »