New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Numerous Application Crashes (Firefox)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tillong

Hi all,

Im a recent switcher, and since I got this thing (iBook 933MHz) I have experienced so many application crashes. Earlier today I reformatted the entire computer on my friends advice as he informed me the Kernel Panicks I saw while previously reinstalling OSX (10.3) were very rare and I should probably just reinstall. My problem however is that I am still experiencing a high rate of crashes. Firefox crashes like it is its full time job, sometimes upwards of 10+ times per day. This seems very odd to me as its rock solid on my Linux (Mandrake 10) and WinXP machines. I was willing to dismiss it as simply one program malfunctioning but then safari began crashing with the same consistency, which just doesnt seem right. Also my copy of bittorrent will just dump out and never even produce the crash-report dialog.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do to make all this crahsing stop. its driving me crazy, my windows apps dont crash nearly this often. I have recently run the permissions repair utility, as well as the disk repair utility. No errors were reported on the disk repair, the permissions utility repaired a handful of perms.

Thanks for any help anybody's got

-Paul
QUOTE Thanks
gunnerjoe

gunnerjoe is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" Quad i7, MacMini Quad i7 , 16gb ram on both. IPad 4th Gen. IPhone 4S

Hi Paul,

I'm running OS X.3.9 with the latest Firefox and it's solid. If you are having that many crashes have you thought about maybe bad hardware causing the crashes, especially with a clean system and you still have the same problems.

Later,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillong
Hi all,

Im a recent switcher, and since I got this thing (iBook 933MHz) I have experienced so many application crashes. Earlier today I reformatted the entire computer on my friends advice as he informed me the Kernel Panicks I saw while previously reinstalling OSX (10.3) were very rare and I should probably just reinstall. My problem however is that I am still experiencing a high rate of crashes. Firefox crashes like it is its full time job, sometimes upwards of 10+ times per day. This seems very odd to me as its rock solid on my Linux (Mandrake 10) and WinXP machines. I was willing to dismiss it as simply one program malfunctioning but then safari began crashing with the same consistency, which just doesnt seem right. Also my copy of bittorrent will just dump out and never even produce the crash-report dialog.

Does anybody have any ideas what I can do to make all this crahsing stop. its driving me crazy, my windows apps dont crash nearly this often. I have recently run the permissions repair utility, as well as the disk repair utility. No errors were reported on the disk repair, the permissions utility repaired a handful of perms.

Thanks for any help anybody's got

-Paul
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Have you updated any hardware recently, as installing a memory stick?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

Do you have your 10.3 updated to the 10.3.9 version? If so i would start suspecting a hardware problem somewhere as 10.3.9 was very solid on my system. With that many crashes you describe it sure smells like a hardware problem as i know the os and the programs are fairly solid on a good system.

Mac Pro Intel 2.66 - 4 Gigs Ram - 10.6.1 - 30" Apple Monitor
iMac 24" 2 gigs ram - MacBook Pro
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Sounds like bad memory to me. I have no crashes, especially not kernel panics.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

I'll say that it's the memory too. I had bad memory in my iBook for more than a year, and I upgraded it finally. Since the upgrade, I have had no issues with kernel panics or browsers crashing like before.
QUOTE Thanks
tillong

Yes I do have 10.3.9 fully upgraded. The system I bought has 640mb of ram in it, so I suppose its possible that one or more sticks could be bad. I did however run the full apple hardware test off the CD, and it didn't complain about the memory. Could it still be a problem.

I just zapped the PRAM, thinking perhaps a faulty setting in there could be a problem. As it stands now neither bit torrent nor firefox have crashed since I did that, but then again its only been 2 hours.

If I start to see symptoms as I have previous described what do you recommend? Id think pull the ram, and then see if the system has any problems, and if not (after a couple days) insert a stick, and see if problems return, etc. However I don't know how many sticks this machine has, with 640mb Id think like 256 built in, a 128 and another 256, but I dont even know how many slots it has (its a G4 14" iBook).

Thanks again,

Paul
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iDVD Crashes every time i Burn | iTunes »