New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

ichat help please

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

msalganik

msalganik is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.53ghz unibody MBP

Decided to start using (video) ichat with my wife since we're going to be temporarily apart for work. I got mine working just fine but when I ran ichat for the first time on her computer it wouldn't work. It gives me the start up screen, asks me for a user name and password (i set it up using google talk) and then at the next screen it says "you're ready to use ichat" click continue... well, after I click continue the continue button just turns blue and it does NOTHING... just sits there on the same window... tells me to click done to start using ichat but there is no done button... just the blue continue button and clicking that does nothing. I have the option to go back and i've tried to doing this and creating accounts with other user name/pw combinations that work on my macbook but nothing will work on hers. I've even deleted ichat from the aps folder and reinstalled it from the OS X DVD and still the exact same problem. I don't know if its important but we both have identical unibody macbook pros and are running 10.5.8. She leaves tonight and i'd really like to get this working. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Try setting a registration here for your wifes iChat then add that account and delete the google one from her computer, https://reg.my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/registration/initRegistration.psp?seamless=n&createSn=1&sitedom ain=www.aim.com&siteState=http%3A//www.aim.com/get_aim/congratsd2.adp&triedAimAuth=y&promo=380464&mcAuth= %2FBcAG0eAJusAAK85AsGwAkeAJycIDKNRaHxeZiEAAA%3D%3D
QUOTE Thanks
msalganik

thanks but it didn't help.... tried making AOL and ichat (@mac) accounts for her... keeps getting stuck on that screen. Even deleted ichat again with appzapper (so I got the associated files and reinstalled).... no help. By the way, how do I delete the google account from her computer? She has a gmail account that she frequently uses so that was the login info that I used (did the same thing for me and it worked on my comp). Did something just get seriously screwed up on her comp and I need to reinstall the OS or am I missing something?
QUOTE Thanks
msalganik

just noticed... when I do the four finger swipe to see all open windows that ichat setup window doesn't show up but the ichat icon is in the dock indicating that its open and if I click on it the window's there.... don't know if that's normal, just thought it was weird and worth mentioning.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough

As a stab in the dark scene - how about running this on her computer. When i said remove google account i was only talking about accounts in iChat Prefs.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Quote:
Originally Posted by msalganik View Post
thanks but it didn't help.... tried making AOL and ichat (@mac) accounts for her... keeps getting stuck on that screen. Even deleted ichat again with appzapper (so I got the associated files and reinstalled).... no help. By the way, how do I delete the google account from her computer? She has a gmail account that she frequently uses so that was the login info that I used (did the same thing for me and it worked on my comp). Did something just get seriously screwed up on her comp and I need to reinstall the OS or am I missing something?
Not sure we are on same wavelength here but using registration at AOL you need to select AIM in set up not @mac
QUOTE Thanks
msalganik

yep... i understand... I tried both making an AOL account and setting it to AIM and then making an ichat account and setting to @mac.... id do this from the ichat preferences but they are greyed out... its weird...like the program is there but not really, despite reinstalls... she's already running 10.5.8 so I think im just going to take the brute approach and reinstall OSX.... if that doesn't help I have no idea what's going on
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Is her account set to a Admin account or a Standard account? Look in Sys Prefs/Accounts
QUOTE Thanks
msalganik

her account is admint.... i just reinstalled OS X and did all of the updates.... I still have the problem!!!!!!!! Help!
QUOTE Thanks
msalganik

just realized to.... most options, including preferences are greyed out in the ichat menu so I have no real way of interacting with the appiication. Our warranty just ended so I can't go to apple. Anyone have any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

That is why i asked about the Admin account - the greyed out items is odd. Try doing permission repairs - perhaps boot off the install disk and do repair permissions from that disk utility and do it a second time if there are a number of entries. Meanwhile i will see if i can find any other info.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Has Stopped Working | Bandwidth Monitor Help »