New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

such and such quit unexpectedly...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

oanyego

oanyego is on a distinguished road

...itunes quit unexpectedly
...indesign quit unexpectedly
...safari quit unexpectedly
...word quit unexpectedly
...quicktime quit unexpectedly
...photoshop quit unexpectedly

....a daily occurrence now, my new MBP reminds me exactly why I quit using PC all those years ago. WTF!

I have never had such a disappointing mac product.

running 10.6.2
and totally underwhelmed by my $2000+ investment, too many beachballs, too many program crashes and way too slow, is this a general concern
thats been noted, I am hoping its just new platform problems that will be resolved in the near future, ...?? anyone else having similar issues?
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

I use my Mac many hours every day. I run a variety of applications, including all those mentioned in your post. Yes, I've seen the ".... quit unexpectedly" error message a few times. But honestly, not more often than once every two months or so. I've never had it hang the computer. It just politely dumps the application and puts me back to the Desktop, or whatever underlying app I have open at the time. No big deal. If your Mac is doing this regularly, then something is wrong with your system. I'd start trying to fix it by doing a super maintenance/cleaning. Run all the Onyx maintenance routines. Delete all the ".plist" files associated with the apps that have caused you trouble. Reset the PRAM and NVRAM. Dfrag the hard drive. Take all nonessentials off your Login Items list.
QUOTE Thanks
tiburon

tiburon is on a distinguished road

It's the craziest thing... and affects a large variety of programs. iTunes is the most reliably unreliable, but other things (skype, papers, matlab, neooffice, and the iLife suite) are also crashing without provocation. Mail and firefox fare better. Purging playlists, and even reinstalling programs doesn't seem to solve anything. I'll try those onyx tools suggested above...

Started seeing the problems with a New Mac Book Pro in October, which runs 10.6.2. By the way, the problem affected 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 equally. The old Mac Book Pro from 2007 running Tiger never had this problem.

Anyone know what's up?
QUOTE Thanks
m3rih

m3rih is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Mid 2012

I agree with you bro. Snow leopard is not more reliable and stable than leopard as apple claims. There are lots of bugs out there. I think snow leopard will be ready on 10.6.5
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oanyego View Post
...itunes quit unexpectedly
...indesign quit unexpectedly
...safari quit unexpectedly
...word quit unexpectedly
...quicktime quit unexpectedly
...photoshop quit unexpectedly

....a daily occurrence now, my new MBP reminds me exactly why I quit using PC all those years ago. WTF!

I have never had such a disappointing mac product.

running 10.6.2
and totally underwhelmed by my $2000+ investment, too many beachballs, too many program crashes and way too slow, is this a general concern
thats been noted, I am hoping its just new platform problems that will be resolved in the near future, ...?? anyone else having similar issues?
I haven't had such issues. Have you tried running some maintenance utilities? If not, grab Onyx and run through the cache cleaners and others to see if this helps. If not, I'd wager you have some rogue app running that is causing some instability. That, or some buggy hardware. Exactly how long have you had this MBP, and have you done anything yourself like upgrade the RAM?

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Honestly i had more problems with Leopard than SL in the short time i had both.
Adding to lifeisabeach comment as Oynx you can try THIS free version of MainMenu. I personally like it better than Oynx having used both, and its simple to use. Just dont check "spotlight re-indexing or remove .DS_Store files" and you should be right.

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
OnceYouGoMac

OnceYouGoMac is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Unibody 2.26 Dual, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD

Do you, by chance, have Windows on your Mac too?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac SMS app to use with a connected iPhone? | Open Office Macroi »