New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

email password problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

skarab

skarab is on a distinguished road

I have two Earthlink email addresses that I want to migrate from, but between the SL OS upgrade and some maintenance Earthlink was doing on their mail system a few months ago, Apple Mail's ability to recognize passwords and download mail in ONE of my Earthlink boxes has been completely screwed up.

I'm trying to migrate to new email from Network Solutions, my new ISP. But Mail just will not see or recognize the password, either for the new NetSol test mailbox, or one of my two Earthlink mailboxes. Unfortunately even Earthlink's web-based email has been acting up so for several weeks I was unsure if it was Snow Leopard or Earthlink, and that's still an open question.

I created a new mailbox with my NetSol account, but Mail won't recognize the password for it. I type it in and get the same prompt box over and over, and the mailbox in Mail has that little lightning bolt icon, I guess meaning it's "offline", though I repeatedly try to put all mailboxes online. It just won't accept the settings.

I've been going in circles on this until I checked on "Macs Only", where a, well, it's not a solution, more a series of workarounds, is posted at Macs Only!. But I really need to fix this and leave Earthlink behind. As I'm reading more about this it appears the problem is Apple Mail and not the isp's.

Any suggestions welcome!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Umm, an alternative email application? The Ultimate Collection Of MacOSX Email Clients | LucaFiligheddu.com

Personally, I like Eudora, but I know of other Mac users who've fallen out with Mail and have gone to Mozilla's Thunderbird, for example.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I can't say much from the obvious. Read each mail vendors connection instructions. For instance, perhaps NS requires encrypted passwords and a different port from the standard one.

I'd also download Thunderbird for testing purposes.

Do you have Little Snitch or some firewall setting that might be interfering?

Have you tried to manually log into your POP accounts via the terminal? Sorry, I don't have instructions for that, but it is possible, at least for non-encrypted connections.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
skarab

skarab is on a distinguished road

thanks for your responses. I did have some luck by opening Keychain and deleting the problem accounts, then logging back in. It fixed my Earthlink mailbox but the NetSol mailbox is still buggy. I'll try the same operation a second time and see what happens.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can I run old InCopy CS on a computer with CS4 Design Suite installed? | Mac Equivalent to Windows All Users »