New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Unable to type in Word X

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tyson0016

tyson0016 is on a distinguished road

Working on a friend's Mac here and we are unable to type anything in MS Word.
You can open existing documents or just a blank page, but cannot type anything at all. It's as if the keyboard were not working at all, except that it works normally in every other application.

I have reinstalled office twice. The second time, I followed the directions found here: How to remove Office v. X for Mac and Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition from your computer and manually deleted all of the files. Still no luck. I've searched around for a couple of hours but haven't been able to find any info on this particular problem.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Should work in Tiger but if you are using Leopard or Snow Leopard i would consider a later app such as iWork 09 or even Office 2008. Keep in mind, iWork can be saved in a number of formats including word and excel.
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

It is Tiger 10.4.11. I'm personally not a fan of Office but buying a copy of iWork isn't exactly an option right now. I was hoping for a solution for Office, for the time being.

It would seem there must be some other files left behind but I don't know where they could be. In addition to the files listed on the above mentioned site, I also checked Application Support but found nothing.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Next option if you need to get work done right away is OpenOffice.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RezDuane

RezDuane is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 8Gb Ram 1TB Fusion HD + MBP

It's a slight possibility that your font color may be white. Happened to me once. Somewhat confusing until I discovered the font color had changed. Does the cursor move as you try to type? If so, type a line and then try to highlight it. If not, it's something else.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Did you use the Microsoft Remove Office prior to reinstalling? If not, give it a try. Then reinstall - yet again!

Repair Permissions using Onyx Titanium Software to see if that fixes whatever is blocking text insertion in Word.

You say "works normally in every other application". Does that include TextEdit? My thinking here is that TE can be saved in Word format. A workaround rather than a fix.
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

It's not the font color, but rather the cursor doesn't even move. I can click to insert the cursor anywhere within a document, but key presses do absolutely nothing. No spaces, arrow keys, nothing.

I wasn't able to try the removal tool because I couldn't find it on the CD. This copy of Office is legitimate, but is a burned backup disc and I don't think whoever made it copied the "Value Pack" folder from the original disc. From what I can tell, the removal tool isn't available anywhere as a separate download.

I have not tried repairing permissions yet, so I'll try that next.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

If you do not have the install CD, how do you activate it with Microsoft? The codes are usually on the reverse of the CD pack. Also download the latest update 10.1.6 and see if that makes any difference. Here is a link:-

Download details: Microsoft Office v. X for Mac Security Update (10.1.6)
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

I do have the product key, just not the original disc.
I'll try the update tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyson0016 View Post
I wasn't able to try the removal tool because I couldn't find it on the CD.
Check again inside the MSOffice folder for another folder called Additional Tools, and then yet another folder called Remove Office.

If it's not there, a second option is to try a third party application like CleanApp. It's not free, but it's highly effective. It'll ferret out every file associated with MSOff. You can choose to delete or send to Trash.
QUOTE Thanks
tyson0016

Well, repairing disk permission didn't solve anything. I also tried uninstalling Office using Appzapper. No luck. Frustrating problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« WIndows word document to Desktop Mac | Entourage 2008 issue »