New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Word CUstom Dictionary

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

MS Word 2004. A check of this forum doesn't seem to provide an answer to this particular issue.

I cannot add words, eg. Eng (Aus), to the Custom Dictionary from the R-click menu within a Word document, the option to add words to the custom dictionary is grayed out - which doesn't make sense! I can however choose to have Word ignore what it defines as an error.

I've checked through Word preferences, and there is nothing I can find that enables me to add words to a custom dictionary (the only one available incidentally).

I've repaired OS permissions with Onyx - still no difference.

Word is currently being used with Panther, whereas with Tiger on another computer I can add and delete words from the Word custom dictionary.

Advice or thoughts please.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Hi Hugh:

I went through the same thing around a year ago when I transferred my custom dictionary from Office 2007 (Windows) to my OS X installation to use with Office 2008.

After trying everything for weeks with no success I posted the problem to the MS Office for Mac forum. A real nice fellow from the UK, a MS MVP, had me email my custom.dic file to him to look over. He found that the file had somehow become corrupt and completely reworked it for me and then sent it back via email. It worked fine after that.

Your custom.dic file might be corrupt. Open it up with textedit and look it over for extra spaces, bad punctuation, and so forth. Remove anything from it that doesn't look right and give it another try.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Gracias chscag, will try. Hugh
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Garageband Question | Microsoft Office 2008-Make it look like the PC version? »