New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

How do I back up without Time Machine?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

pesto

pesto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 867 MHz 1 GB SDRAM Leopard OS X

I am so frustrated AND scared. I know I need to back up my files as soon as possible because I heard a clicking noise coming from my internal hard drive.

First I bought a Maxtor external hard drive, journaled it and proceeded to use Time Machine to back everything up. That was a washout because the Maxtor would go to sleep within five minutes of the process. Doing research showed that was a universal problem with that drive.

So yesterday, I purchased a Verbatim with 1 TB of space, configured it to use with Time Machine and thought all was well. Nope, around 600 MB, I kept getting an error message that it couldn't write to it. I went to the Apple site for a fix, found one and went through the steps but the same thing happened.

What I really need to do is to make a bootable copy of my drive so that when my internal fails, which seems inevitable, I can boot my G4 from it. Also, since I am getting the new iMac, I simply want to transfer my files from my external.

I only store essentials on my internal and that is only 35 G on an 80 G drive.

Why can't I just drag all my files over to the external?

Not really understanding how backups work, I am lost.

What are my alternatives. I was going to use Carbonite but I have a G4 PowerPC and Carbonite only accepts Intel Based Macs.

I would appreciate any assistance. This is so urgent.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Dragging the files from one hard drive to another will not produce a bootable clone. Also some applications will not run properly on the copy if you do things that way. For cloning and producing a "bootable" copy check out SuperDuper!, Carbon Copy Cloner - Home or even using Disk Utility (search its Help file for "restore a disk").

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pesto

pesto is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 867 MHz 1 GB SDRAM Leopard OS X

Wow! I did everything you suggested and downloaded Carbon Copy. It ran without a hitch for 24 hours and cloned my hard drive to the new drive. However, a message said it would not be able to boot from the external because it was a USB drive and G4s do not allow that. Apple also said that FireWire booting is possible on all Macintosh models that have built-in FireWire ports with the exception of the Power Macintosh G3 (Blue & White) and the Power Mac G4 (PCI Graphics) models.

No problem really because I was mostly interested in getting my files backed up. But I checked and my G4 doesn't have a PCI card. The new external is both firewire and usb and I do have firewire options on my computer. Does the apple fix apply to me?

I can't thank you enough for your previous clear and wonderful solution. I was so relieved to see that my information went over to the new external seamlessly.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Sorry I hadn't answered sooner. Missed this post somehow and didn't notice your update until I stumbled upon the rep bump you left for me (thanks).

There were a number of G4 firmware updates over the years and not all updates apply to all models. I think you can get to the right updates by doing the following:
1. Go to the Support Downloads Page http://support.apple.com/downloads/#%22g4%20firmware%20update%22
2. Open System Profiler on your computer.
3. In the main hardware section should be an entry for Model Identifier (such as MacBook Pro 5.1)
4. Go back to the software support page and enter your model identifier into the search phrase.
5. This should return firmware updates that might be relevant to your machine.

At this point Apple has done users a huge favor. When you attempt to install a firmware update it generally won't install if you don't need the update or it is the wrong one. Check the read me files though just in case there are some specific installation procedures for the updates.

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

And after all that pesto G4's, and most G5's are not bootable from USB, even USB2 as it is simply too slow. You need a Firewire external case for your external HDD. SuperDuper should clone to the external in about 2 1/2 hours, and if you purchase the registered version for $29, Smart Backup will do a weekly update in about ten minutes.

The external will be bootable using Firewire.
QUOTE Thanks
coaster

coaster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac - Intel Core 2 Duo - 3.06 MHz - 4GB RAM - 1TB HD - ATI Radeon 4850 512MB video

pesto, how is your internal hard disk running? I'm curious about that "clicking" noise. Some HD's normally make sounds that could be described that way.

~Tim~
Throw the bums out!! Bye Bye Bums
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

I have an old iBook SE that has made a clicking noise since not long after I got it. It is still kicking though I haven't used it often for the last several years. Clicking sounds often, but not always, are not a good sign.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« OnyX 2.1.3 | Block Uploads in Transmission »