New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Renaming a Mailbox deleted all of its subfolders

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

adrianzag

adrianzag has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Hi there,
Am new here so please excuse any dumb
Am feeling a cold chill up my spine, I really hope someone can help?!
I was renaming my mailbox folders in 'Mail'.
I successfully renamed about ten of them without any problems.
Then I tried to rename one mailbox called 'Uni' into 'uni' (lower case).
I then got a warning dialog telling me that ''The mailbox folder 'Uni' has not been renamed properly''. I clicked 'OK'.
I saw that there were now 2 mailbox folders, one named 'Uni' (upper case) which had been greyed out 'phantom-like', and one named 'uni' (lower case) which was still in the normal blue.
When I clicked on the phantom 'Uni' mailbox I saw that it was completely empty. So I deleted it, thinking that since it was empty, this was not an issue.
However, I was then mortified to see that that in the 'uni' folder (lower case) all of its subfolders, (there used to be 3 of them) which had contained hundreds of very important emails, did not exist any more!
When I tried to back up and 'undo' the rename, there was no undo option.
Does anyone out there know what I can do to get my subfolder emails back? I have searched for them on my entire system but they are nowhere to be seen (((
Any help would be a most appreciated

Yours (in a cold sweat!)

Adrian
QUOTE Thanks
Sur3Mac

Sur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the roughSur3Mac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Late 2011 MBP 13" i5/16GB RAM,Early 2007 MB white 13", 2x TV 3rd Gen, ᣦ

I believe that if you had left the lower case "uni" folder where it was and renamed it back, it would have still been there, but since you've done something that a lot of people would do, I'd read up on this article, which may give you a solution.

Regards

QUOTE Thanks
adrianzag

adrianzag has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sur3Mac View Post
I believe that if you had left the lower case "uni" folder where it was and renamed it back, it would have still been there, but since you've done something that a lot of people would do, I'd read up on this article, which may give you a solution.

Regards
Hi Sur3Mac

Thanks a lot for this reply, for some reason I don't think I saw it at the time - in fact you were 100% correct, that was the issue - the lower case v upper case thing.

Sorry I never saw your post. I posted the issue in several forums and lost track of this one, excuse me for not responding sooner

Adrian
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to download videos from viki to macbook | Duplicate file finder »