New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Looking For Help With Dock Launching

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macNCheeze

macNCheeze is on a distinguished road

Hey Everyone, I like having an Applications folder in the doc to pop the grid of icons to pick from. But I have so many apps now it is a huge mess. I tried to put apps in folders (like "creative", "productivity", "video", etc) but that made the apps freak out.

Is there an app launcher that would do the same grid of icons pop up, but let me pick what is visible? Any help is much appreciated...
QUOTE Thanks
VegasGeorge

VegasGeorge is a jewel in the roughVegasGeorge is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac, and Macbook Pro

Are you aware that once you have the grid of icons up, you can start typing the name of the app you're interested in and Finder will take you right to that app?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
Are you aware that once you have the grid of icons up, you can start typing the name of the app you're interested in and Finder will take you right to that app?
If I'm not mistaken, this only works for the first letter you type. So if you have two or more apps which start with the first letter you've typed, it goes to the first one, alphabetically. Or is there another way that I don't know about ?

Doug

Edit: When doing it the way you suggested but in list view, you can type the exact name and it will take you to the app. But the OP seems to want to do away with the mess all together, rather than just have to take an extra step and type to get to an app. I can totally understand where he's coming from with that (though sorting through the app folder in grid mode is fine w/me) because I'm anal retentive too.

To the OP: There should be a way to put individual apps in a separate folder and dock it without the apps "freaking out".
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

In fact, it works for me just fine. I made a new folder within the apps folder and named it "media". I put iTunes and VLC in it and then I moved the Apps folder out of my dock, and replaced it with the new media folder. I'm currently listening to music after having launched iTunes from that new folder.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Make a folder (or several) of aliases to the apps you want. Put that in the Dock.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
Make a folder (or several) of aliases to the apps you want. Put that in the Dock.

That's cool. I guess that's just another way of saying copy/paste without the actual file being shifted anywhere, so there's no extra space taken up. It's a breadcrumb, more or less... correct ? Nice. Learn something new every day.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

In List view, why can't you just navigate to the app you want?
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Although many apps will let you move them around within the Applications folder, I prefer using aliases for organization. If you choose to move programs, don't put the Apple apps (iTunes, iPhoto, etc) in a different folder. Software Update won't "see" them as even being present to update.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Name Resolution problems: Any Mac networking gurus out there? | iPhoto Library Questions »