New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

has anyone used/tried ClamXav?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vegard_dino

vegard_dino is on a distinguished road

Hi all

Have any one tried/used the ClamXav?

As a virus program, is it good? I am seeking around for a good anti virus for my mac.

Thanks for looking all
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Seriously, you really don't have to download any anti-virus programs for your Mac unless you downloaded a lot of pirated softwares. Most anti-virus programs that I have heard of on the Mac platform slows down the system tremendously. I have heard of ClamXav before, and I have tried using it. I've never actually found anything on my Mac before.
QUOTE Thanks
vegard_dino

Hi

Thank you for the reply. I "just" use my mac`s for all things on the web, never done any down loading of pirated things, and guess I never will....

So, I don`t need a anti virus program at all? What about all the junk mail, and mails with virus attached to them?
No need to worry on a mac(?)

Thanks for helping
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Best to have a look at the forum's FAQ

The Official Mac AntiVirus and Firewall FAQ

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

And have a read of this to set you further at ease:-

Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
QUOTE Thanks
vegard_dino

Hi and thanks for the help/links
QUOTE Thanks
growlgrowl

growlgrowl is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2013. OSX 10.9. 8Gb mem, 3.6 GHz 750Gb HD. iPod Touch 2009. AppleTV2

I use ClamXav, which the above CNET article says seems like the best one to use...if you're going to use one.

I have the ClamXav Sentry set up to check anything going into my Downloads folder (where I also unzip or de-rar files) and my p2p Completed folder.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The main reason to have antivirus software on a Mac is to catch any Windows viruses that you don't want passing on to others, via email for example. However, I wouldn't want to waste system resources on my end to protect other computers. If the recipient doesn't have antivirus, that's not my problem.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
vegard_dino

Thanks for helping me all

Have a good day
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

One day, a virus will be developed for Macs. It will catch most of the Mac community off guard, and cause much angst. I used Virex for years, as it turns out, for absolutely no reason at all. I'm going bare now, but I wonder if I should download ClamXav and start using it for no good reason as well. At least I'll be prepared for One Day.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Symantec Anti Virus - Does it detect Mac Viruses, Windows Viruses or both? | iWork etc - unused space at the side »