New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mail - Recovered Messages or gmail will not sync

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Hope this will save someone else a headache.

I made the mistake of attaching a 120MB file to an outgoing email using my gmail account in Mail. Of course, it popped up a message telling me the max file size was 34MB. Ok, silly me.

But that wasn't the end of it. For the last three days, Mail has run with a spinning ball on gmail in it's attempt to send that message. No other messages could be sent or received thru the gmail account. And the network showed 225kb data sent continuously.

I couldn't delete the message either. The message was not located in drafts or sent items. Spotlight couldn't find it either. Not even with all hidden files shown.

Meanwhile, it placed that email in a new folder called Recovered Messages no less than 40-50 times a day. Hadn't had time to mess with it until tonight.

After a search through the Mail folder, found the key location.
Delete everything in the following folder:
~/Library/Mail/IMAP-email@gmail.com/.offlinecache

edit: replace "email" with your gmail name

See Post # 30 for a step by step walkthrough provided by Erudite.Warrior

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
johnathon03

johnathon03 is on a distinguished road

I did the exact same thing. I noticed because I don't have that much space left on my laptop hard drive, so I kept running out of space. I found the emails it kept generating myself, but it would have taken me a while to find the .offlinecache folder.
Thank you very much for posting this.
QUOTE Thanks
gillian

gillian is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much indeed for posting this. We had exactly the same problem, went up all the blind alleys you did and then went to MacForums. We sorted it in minutes after finding the instructions you so generously posted.

Gillian
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Glad to see it's helping a few others.

QUOTE Thanks
drummerboy032

drummerboy032 is on a distinguished road

i am having the EXACT same problem, except I cannot find the .offlinecache file ANYWHERE!! i tried looking in the file path you said it would be in, but it is not there. I also tried searching in spotlight for it and nothing..

please help this is crippling my mail client and my internet :/

any help is GREATLY appreciated, thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

~ means your home folder, so you'll look in MacIntosh HD / Users / your user / Library ...

Not at my Mac now, but that may be a hidden file also. If it is, you'll also have to show hidden files.

QUOTE Thanks
anaisethenry

anaisethenry is on a distinguished road

I'm having exactly this issue... only I can't find .offlinecache in the folder:
~/Library/Mail/IMAP-email@gmail.com/

I'm not sure how to "show all"... It seems they are all there... I can't receive any new mail and my computer is very slow because of this..

Thank you!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

.offlinecache is a hidden folder

You will have to show hidden folders to see it.

I use Onyx to do that and several of the other common utilities have the ability to do this.
You can also use the terminal - copy and paste the following into terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
When you are done - put in the same and just change YES to NO

QUOTE Thanks
anaisethenry

anaisethenry is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply!

I fixed my problem another way, I simply removed my account from mail and went in and deleted the folder for the account as well... it's still updating all of my emails from gmail, but that seems to have done the trick!
QUOTE Thanks
Jeana

Jeana is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I'm so sorry, but I am a big beginner with Mac

I've got the same issue as written and can't find hidden folders as well,
I've also tried to copy&paste to terminal but nothing happend

could you please help me little bit more

I try to download onyx but not sure what exact things mark to delete.

Many many thanks in advance

Jeana

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
.offlinecache is a hidden folder

You will have to show hidden folders to see it.

I use Onyx to do that and several of the other common utilities have the ability to do this.
You can also use the terminal - copy and paste the following into terminal

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
When you are done - put in the same and just change YES to NO
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Did you open Finder after you pasted the above into terminal and browse to the specified location to look for the files?

QUOTE Thanks
Jeana

yes I did and there's nothing new
QUOTE Thanks
maikutis

maikutis is on a distinguished road

Log in and out, it should show it. Then, turn it back off by changing the last word to "NO". Then log in and log out. After that, it may take a while for gmail to recognize that you're not going over bandwidth
QUOTE Thanks
Jeana

Thank you very much, issue is solved
My husband has solved it according my instuctions from this forum
QUOTE Thanks
Sofiux

Sofiux is on a distinguished road

Thank you very much bobtomay!! I was in panic, and was told to use the web interface :S
I tried everything for the last 2 hours, and then googled (had to do it in the first place!)
THank you very much once again,
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes memory usage | automating bi-weekly reminder email »