New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Unable to watch DVDs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ojosdelangel

ojosdelangel is on a distinguished road

Hi,

We just rec'd our iMac the other day and I find that I am unable to watch dvd's (purchased ones) without it skipping/lagging and then just freezing. With the DVD Player App, it gave me Error 69902. I also have downloaded and tried the VLC and that too was unsuccessful.

I was watching this specific dvd on our PC without any problems. Does anyone have any insight to this? Is it the streaming level or something? I spend a LOT of time infront of my computer and love to watch something while I work so this now silent environment is makin' me nuts!

Please help!

~Natalie
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

From what I have read, this occurs frequently with DVDs that are burned copies. Are you trying to play a burned copy?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

If you're unable to watch purchased DVDs on a brand new iMac, it's time to take the machine in to Apple and have them look at it. Since it's new, they will repair or replace it under warranty.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
ojosdelangel

VanSmith: nope, they are not burned ones.

chscag: Take it back, really?
QUOTE Thanks
ojosdelangel

btw: Dvd Player app, did play them, but it skipped, then froze and then gave me that error.
QUOTE Thanks
ojosdelangel

Oh and I have loaded software through this drive, so would it really be faulty if other discs are able to work?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

What software did you load through the drive? Was it on a CD or DVD? It sounds like the drive itself is defective or intermittently faulty. Sometimes a drive that has problems works OK with CDs but not DVDs. (DVD media requires more optical power than CD media.)

I still think you should have Apple look at it. Your machine is under warranty, why not have them trouble shoot it rather than doing it yourself?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Time Machine setup | Manga/Comics viewing »