New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

OSX10.4.11 Lost all the preferences.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mikki

Mikki is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have recently downloaded an exe. file while in Parallels. I am not sure it happened when I ran the file or if I ignored or did not comprehend a question and proceeded with running the program. Yes....I have broken all the rules. What has happened is I have lost all my preferences - desktop, mail accounts and it seems for every application. We haven't lost any data, just preferences and account info. Any ideas?

Mikki
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

I would think the first thing is to rid yourself of any malware that your .exe file may have left behind. Do you have any anti-virus software? This is one: Anti-virus for Mac - Sophos
A free trial is offered.

Another one:
ClamXav (free download)
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Have you lost your preferences in your windows OS or in OS X?

If it is in OS X did you rename your Home folder at any point?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Steer clear of AV software:-

Mac OS X anti-virus software: More trouble than it's worth? | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Harry, that article is from 2006 and covers some AV software that's no longer available. It gives a guarded endorsement of ClamXav. If the OP's computer is infected with a Windows virus, it needs to be expunged.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I will ask the same question as louishen. Did you rename your home (User) folder by chance? If you did, that is exactly what will happen.

If you did please let us know and we can help you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mail.app/IMAP: Delete & Expunge | How to swich lenguage in email? »