New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Problems with DVD burning Software (Toast Titanium & Others)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PKT1889

PKT1889 is on a distinguished road

I have been trying to burn dvd's lately using my macbook pro. However, when I start the burning process, "the program quit unexpectedly" every time. I have tried this using Toast Titanium which I have read is the best burning software as well as others, all with the same result. PLEASE HELP!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

As a first stage, run disk utility and run a permissions repair. Restart the mac and tell us if the problem persists.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
PKT1889

PKT1889 is on a distinguished road

Did as you said, still not working. Every time I try to add a file in the list on Toast Titanium, I get the beach ball and have to force quit
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Just as a test, try using Burn - which is free - just to see if the issue could be with Toast.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

To the OP ...

Have you tried burning a CD / DVD using the standard OS X functionality ?

Are you trying to burn Dual Layer DVD's ?

Have you tried using another brand of DVD's ?

Are you trying to burn DVD +R or DVD -R ?

Post back and I am sure someone can help you pinpoint the problem.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT1889 View Post
I have been trying to burn dvd's lately using my macbook pro. However, when I start the burning process, "the program quit unexpectedly" every time. I have tried this using Toast Titanium which I have read is the best burning software as well as others, all with the same result. PLEASE HELP!
You might be experiencing a hardware problem with your DVD superdrive. First thing to check is open the "System Profiler" (Applications, Utilities) and make sure the drive is showing up.

You didn't mention whether or not you can read a disk in the drive? Have you checked to see if you can?

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
vomwald

vomwald is on a distinguished road

I'm using Toast 10 Titanium. It worked fine for four days. Now every time I open it the application "quits unexpectedly" after three seconds.

Up to now
..I uninstalled it two times.
..checked everything with disk utility.
..tried to delete all kind of files in the library folder. Although I might have left out some.

Weird thing is that it worked fine and then .. baff .. nothing.

? anyone up for the riddle ?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Sticky Thread: Basic OS X/Mac Troubleshooting

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8

I'm experiencing the very same issues as the op, and have thus far tried everything in the sticky.

I'm using Burn, and trying to burn two films, but each time Burn gets to burning, its closes unexpectedly, which now, I fear my dvd drive maybe faulty, as I have not ever used it to burn a cd or dvd previously. I have check everything, and my drive has burn permissions.

Is there a simple test I can perform to check burning status?

I'm all out of options.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

About the only test you can accomplish is one that lets you burn to media. If you have some CD+RW disks laying around, do some test burns to see if it's working. You can always erase them later. Also try burning using Disk Utility rather than Burn.

The Apple Hardware Test may be another way to test the drive, however, I'm not sure if it includes it in its testing.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Mickyfin

Mickyfin will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 2.8

Thanks for your response, I managed to fix the issue by simply cleaning my drives lens with a DVD Lens cleaner dvd, running the cleaner a couple of time, all is working 100% now.
QUOTE Thanks
james_b

james_b is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: mbp

It would be more useful if Apple stopped putting Superdrives in their laptops and put an actual toaster in, so I can have some breakfast while I use the external burner.

Mat****a by name much ****a nature.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_b View Post
It would be more useful if Apple stopped putting Superdrives in their laptops and put an actual toaster in, so I can have some breakfast while I use the external burner.

Mat****a by name much ****a nature.
On the contrary, I had excellent experience with the Matsu drive in my first MacBook Pro. My '08 model shipped with an LG-branded drive that was loud and developed problems within 6 months. Luckily the Apple Store swapped it for a Matsu model and it works like a champ. I do have occasional issues burning dual-layer discs, but I'm told that's a bug in OS X and not a hardware issue.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
james_b

james_b is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: mbp

I guess i'm just unlucky.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Exporting PC Outlook Tasks to Entourage | RSS reader like google reader? »