New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Good Freeware FTP for Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kiteboarder

kiteboarder is on a distinguished road

Hello. I've been using Fetch for MAC since 2002. But, my copy is very old and doesn't work well in Leopard. The company I work for doesn't want to purchase an update, so I'm stuck trying to find freeware.

Can anybody recommend good FTP Freeware for MAC? I'm looking for something that works as well as Fetch. I don't want to end up with more problems by going the cheap route. I may have not been given a budget, but I'm still responsible for the work.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

As far as free goes, I know Cyberduck usually wins in that category for most people. There is also one called Fugu, but it's not near as popular as Cyberduck.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Don't know much about Fetch, but CyberDuck works well for me.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
twdcmd

twdcmd is on a distinguished road

I've always been partial to Filezilla FileZilla - The free FTP solution
QUOTE Thanks
kiteboarder

Thanks for the recommendations. I just downloaded Cyberduck to give it a try.
QUOTE Thanks
kiteboarder

I worked with Cyberduck all day yesterday. Not impressed. It seems to work fine with small files and with a small number of files. But anytime I tried to upload entire folders it just seems to crap out mid way. It also gets stuck over and over again when I ask it to replace directories that have the same name.

I couldn't get my work finished yesterday thanks to that.

So, today I'm trying out Filezilla. It's busy uploading at the moment. Let's see how it goes. -D
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never had issues uploading whole folders with Cyberduck to my website. Not sure what is going on with it on your end. Let us know if Filezilla works or does the same thing.

I would have recommended Transmit to you but you said Freeware and Transmit costs $$$.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have never had issues uploading whole folders with Cyberduck to my website. Not sure what is going on with it on your end. Let us know if Filezilla works or does the same thing.

I would have recommended Transmit to you but you said Freeware and Transmit costs $$$.
Ditto here. And I've transferred huge files with it. I'm really shocked.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
kiteboarder

I just uploaded all the files I needed to upload using Filezilla. It uploaded everything in one shot. I gave me an error message, but while it was disconnecting. In other words, after it was done with the files. All the files are online and everything seems to work well. So... I'm happy.

I'm still keeping Cyberduck for a bit and I'll give it another chance later. We'll see.

Thanks, Danny
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

If you do decide to spend some money for a FTP program, I vote for Transmit like dtravis7 had mentioned. I think it's the best one available for Mac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Emulator Enhancer Configuration Question | Mac + Netbeans + Parallells + Xp »