New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Code Editor and FTP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ik0n

ik0n is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini

So I was wondering what's the best Code Editor for MAC? Back in Windows I used Notepad++ for all my coding (Xhtml, CSS, PHP, etc) and the best FTP client?

Let me know what you use or what you suggest me to have. Looking forward to the replies.

Thanks,
IK0N

" Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream. "
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

wmprice1240 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

XCode is free and comes with OSX. Depending on the version of your OS it will be on one of your install disks as an 'optional' install. For the type of development your doing you could probably get away with any decent text editor. Google for something like 'HTML IDE on OSX' and you will find a ton of them.

I use Cyberduck for FTP. There are others out there but I have found Cyberduck to be excellent for all FTP based tasks.

Note, while the Finder does have FTP read capabilities built into it, FTP write has yet to be implemented so it's quite limited.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Text Wrangler (free) and BBedit are good code text editors, especially as they are specifically targeted at those who want to write code

Bare Bones Software | TextWrangler

Bare Bones Software | BBEdit 9

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
ik0n

Thanks for the replies guys. As for the Text / Code Editor I got TextWrangler for now. However with the FTP, I'm having a little problem. I know I'm installing CyberDuck right but it just doesn't seem to boot-up. Any idea why?

" Some of the greater things in life are unseen thats why you close your eyes when you kiss, cry, or dream. "
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

Mac Specs: MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB

What version of OSX are you running 10.6? If so, you need to make sure to grab the beta version 3.3b4.
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

Unfortunately, it appears that the link to the beta is not working. I have a copy 3.3b1 which works on 10.6. Not sure how to get it to you, it's about 18MB. Could be a temporary outage at the Cyberduck site.
QUOTE Thanks
wmprice1240

I sent you a private message about how to grab the 3.3b1 Cyberduck file.
QUOTE Thanks
ik0n

Hey,

Thank you so much, it worked out fine. Appreciate it.

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

And keep in mind that TextWrangler and BBEdit have an integrated FTP client.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't open Comic Life file | Error message in XCode »