New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Automator: Closing Application

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shinsengumii

shinsengumii is on a distinguished road

Hi guys,

I was just wondering how to get Automator to close an application at a scheduled time.

How would I go about doing that?

Kind regards.
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

I'm not sure how you could do that with Automator alone, but if you combine it with iCal, it isn't hard. Here's what to do:

1. Open Automator and choose the Application template for your new project.
2. Use the search box to find the Quit Application action. Add it to your project and select the application you want to quit from the pop-up menu.
3. Save the project wherever you want—just remember where—and quit Automator.
4. Open up iCal and double-click on the day you want to close the application (or the day you want to begin closing it if you plan on repeating it).
5. In the New Event pop-up, choose when you want the application to close for the from option and whether and how often you want it to repeat.
6. For the alarm option, choose Open File. This will add a few more options. Click the next alarm option and choose Other… and navigate to the file you created in Automator. Finally, choose how many minutes before or after the from date you want the application to quit.
7. Configure anything else you want here and then click done. When the time you choose rolls around, it should quit the application for you.
QUOTE Thanks
shinsengumii

Hi Nabi,

Thanks heaps for the suggestion.

Everything worked except for when Automator opens up, it does not actually perform the "Quit Application" because i have not pressed the Play function.

All iCal did was to open the file but Automator never shut down the application.

Kind regards.
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

You can export the automator script as an application. That way, you don't have to hit anything, it just starts when scheduled, completes it's task, and quits

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
shinsengumii

AH~ now it works!

HAHAH! thank you both!
QUOTE Thanks
Theonnie

Theonnie is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to get automator to quit an application for me at a specific time everyday. I've saved the workflow as an application, and tried to schedule it to run via iCal, as in setting the alarm as "open file" and choosing my application. However, it isn't working...what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Which version of the OS do you have? The process of doing this has changed a bit from the first version of Automator to now.

If you are running Snow Leopard launch Automator and choose to create an iCal alarm. I believe it takes care of most of the process for you when it is time to create the alarm.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Theonnie

Theonnie is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much Slydude! The iCal Alarm worked! =D
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Pages-table of contents | A way to reply to Outlook invitations? »