New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari is the browser to use on OS X!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

when i first got my ibook back in late october 2004 I was bitterly complaining about Safari b/c of it's inability to display certain websites and the fact is was so slow! I was new to Mac at the time and i got the ibook b/c i mainly do word processing and a lot of internet surfing. i was told by my friend that web surfing on a mac is as good as what i have used on a windows machine. well because safari intially sucked, imo, i switched over to firefox which has performed very well the thing is that the bookmark setup is not that good and indeed it does not follow the mac os x UI as Safari does. But i gave Safari a fair try and was so pissed at how crappy it was, i deleted it. Well I downloaded the latest software update from Apple. Magically Safari is back on my computer but it's different. now it's faster and looks better than firefox. i have rambled on to essentially say that safari is great and mac did a good job of improving performance. i will no longer use firefox as my primary browser and safari has now caught up with the rest. good job mac!!
QUOTE Thanks
mangoSharingan

May I ask what version your Safari is? The latest I can find is v1.2 on the Apple site but when I check About Safari, it says I have 1.3(v312). Does this mean I have v1.3 or something (which would be weird since the latest on the Apple site is v1.2?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did you install the 10.3.9 update the other day? If you did, Safari 1.3 was installed then. It's much faster especially displaying Java.
QUOTE Thanks
inflexion

inflexion will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle

safari is good but being a linux kind of guy i use firefox still :p
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

I tried Safari 1.3 and I like the speed, but I am back to using Camino daily builds. There are a few minor differences that throw my usage off. One thing is I do not like having animated gifs looping indefinitely. They are amusing for a while but I get tired of them so I have Camino set to loop only once. Second and more importantly is the fact that when I open a URL using an external application, the tab gains immediate focus. I want URLs opened using an external application to follow the same rules as a tab opened using Safari itself. I use a custom QuickSilver plugin to store all my bookmarks and am confronted with this difference constantly.

They are minor, but for some reason it bugs me sufficiently that I will live without spell check in order to avoid these annoyances. I do wish Camino had spell check though.
QUOTE Thanks
Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

I uploaded the new safari (1.3 v312) when i did the security update a few days ago. It was a welcome suprise as i had deleted it. But yeah i like the new and improved speed compared to my experience when i had the earlier version. The scrolling is a lot smoother and now i can actually use GMAIL whereas in the past it did not allow me to. all in all i'm extremely happy using Safari now and i do like the bookmarking menu setup compared to firefox. But obviously both browsers are great and they both are extremely functional. My only minor annoyances with Firefox is the fact it would crash occasionally. Hope the same doesn't occur on Safari.
QUOTE Thanks
flyingpostman

What I like, which Safari and Camino don't have, is the middle click (or command-click) from the bookmark bar opening a new tab. Its such a convenient and easy thing to implement, its a shame that they don't support it.
QUOTE Thanks
onestep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computer.Geek
I uploaded the new safari (1.3 v312) when i did the security update a few days ago. It was a welcome suprise as i had deleted it. But yeah i like the new and improved speed compared to my experience when i had the earlier version. The scrolling is a lot smoother and now i can actually use GMAIL whereas in the past it did not allow me to. all in all i'm extremely happy using Safari now and i do like the bookmarking menu setup compared to firefox. But obviously both browsers are great and they both are extremely functional. My only minor annoyances with Firefox is the fact it would crash occasionally. Hope the same doesn't occur on Safari.

I am still running FireFox, even though I would like to go with apple. Too much lag on safari. I STILL don't know why PC browsing is so much faster... Apple needs to get that fixed.

So, I use Firefox on Mac and PC, and I find them pretty much compatible with most sites I frequent now.
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

I'm much more fond of Safari now with the 1.3 update as well. Night and day really. Quick question for anyone that may know. It is my understanding that Tiger should ship with Safari 2.0. Does anyone know of any additional (projected; as no one can know for sure yet) performance upgrades? Obviously it will support RSS feeds, but is that the extent of the upgrades as far as the rumors go?

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
ajresovsky

ajresovsky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.93GHz Quad-core Intel Xeon processor RuningSnoLeopard v 10.6.4 DDRe

HI,
Mon. night I thought I'd do system a favor and did routine MacJanitor
'clean up' 'Clean up' s-h-ee-ee-ut! Tuesday got up to no web, no Safari
I had no idea. I called comcast( which, by the way, know squat about macs
& osX, PLUS, they won't admit it - try to suggest solutions using WinXP frame of reference, I guess, they haven't a CLUE! Apples to oranges...
Any suggestions ideas?
I got IE working. so that has lessened the loss. But, I'd still like it back.
This being the 22nd, Tiger being out nxt week. Shoulld I just bite the bullet,
and await Tiger, since, I almost, certianly, will purhase?

clean up in

A-a-h Yes, A Computer without windows, is like a fish
without a bicycle, :mad:
QUOTE Thanks
Kokopelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayrr
I'm much more fond of Safari now with the 1.3 update as well. Night and day really. Quick question for anyone that may know. It is my understanding that Tiger should ship with Safari 2.0. Does anyone know of any additional (projected; as no one can know for sure yet) performance upgrades? Obviously it will support RSS feeds, but is that the extent of the upgrades as far as the rumors go?

-Chris
As far as I can remember that is about it. I would give 2.0 and edge on speed over 1.3 but by all that much. Most of the speed increase for 2.0 comes in 1.3.

Here are the features that are public. (I do not remember any other features but that does not mean that they do not exist.)
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/safari/
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Sprout

Mr Sprout is on a distinguished road

When i got my mac i compared safari and firefox, since the mac doesnt have the security issues of windows i stuck with safari because of its great looks and OS X intergration
QUOTE Thanks
Reflow

Reflow is on a distinguished road

I personally like firefox. I still have problems with some site like Sybari as our spam blocker and MS Web Outlook. I still have to work with PC's :dummy:

[
QUOTE Thanks
Graphite

Graphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud ofGraphite has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display

Safari, or iCab actually

omniweb if its good.
QUOTE Thanks
kmahesh

I like Safari but I need Y! and Google toolbar badly on my browsers. I have most of my bookmarks in Y!. I could load these toolbars in Firefox but not on Safari - unless this changed in Safari 2.0.

Anyone has any experience with the toolbars???

M
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can you guys open this site? | How to duplicate a CD in a Powerbook? »