Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    can mac the ripper or ripit cause my system to lockup?
    I have a macbook pro that I just installed snow leopard onto... I normally use a windows machine for ripping dvds but figured I would try a mac solution... now some rips have worked fine, but at least 2 times during the past week since I started the macbook locks up completely and I have to remove the batter to turn it off and restart.

The only other software I've had running when it happened was Safari while the rip was going on in the background... is this something that would be caused by the ripping software or does it sound like a hardware issue? Any ideas?

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    any app can hang... especially one that's using considerable processor power. I really haven't seen a complete system hang like that though.. at least not one that holding the power button down and shutting off won't break.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Specs:
    Late 2008 MBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
    any app can hang... especially one that's using considerable processor power. I really haven't seen a complete system hang like that though.. at least not one that holding the power button down and shutting off won't break.
    I know apps can hang. I've had an old polycarb macbook that would hang on various apps all the time. This isn't just the app hanging, when it happens the mouse no longer moves or anything so you can't even go to force the app to quit.... first I thought it might be temp related so I installed a app to watch the temps yet it did it once again when the hottest temp was 50C which ruled out the temps being a problem.. I didn't think a app to rip dvds was that processor intensive.

Specs:
    2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
    I didn't think a app to rip dvds was that processor intensive.
    They are very CPU intensive.

What kind of specs does your MBP have? How are you ripping and what settings are you using? What are you trying to rip?
    Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
    M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
    Writing a Quality Post

Thread Information