New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

can mac the ripper or ripit cause my system to lockup?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

I have a macbook pro that I just installed snow leopard onto... I normally use a windows machine for ripping dvds but figured I would try a mac solution... now some rips have worked fine, but at least 2 times during the past week since I started the macbook locks up completely and I have to remove the batter to turn it off and restart.

The only other software I've had running when it happened was Safari while the rip was going on in the background... is this something that would be caused by the ripping software or does it sound like a hardware issue? Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

any app can hang... especially one that's using considerable processor power. I really haven't seen a complete system hang like that though.. at least not one that holding the power button down and shutting off won't break.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
thomas998

thomas998 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Late 2008 MBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysfunction View Post
any app can hang... especially one that's using considerable processor power. I really haven't seen a complete system hang like that though.. at least not one that holding the power button down and shutting off won't break.
I know apps can hang. I've had an old polycarb macbook that would hang on various apps all the time. This isn't just the app hanging, when it happens the mouse no longer moves or anything so you can't even go to force the app to quit.... first I thought it might be temp related so I installed a app to watch the temps yet it did it once again when the hottest temp was 50C which ruled out the temps being a problem.. I didn't think a app to rip dvds was that processor intensive.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas998 View Post
I didn't think a app to rip dvds was that processor intensive.
They are very CPU intensive.

What kind of specs does your MBP have? How are you ripping and what settings are you using? What are you trying to rip?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Flash Player/Mac slowdown | iMovie HD 6 Question - clearing space »