New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Firefox on mac OSX 10.4 Question about opening links in new tabs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

liberator32

liberator32 is an unknown at this point

I had an add on that I cannot remember the name of. It allowed me to hold the click on my macbook down over a link and the "dropdown" menu of options for that link would appear as if I were simultaneously holding the ctrl key.

I had to replace my HDD today and lost a lot of random settings like the above. help? ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
nabl

nabl has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.1GHz MacBook with 4GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.6, iLife and iWork 09

I'm not sure which add-on you're referring to, but you can always open a new tab by holding the Command (⌘) key while clicking the link. As for the add-on you're looking for, was it a Firefox add-on or a Mac OS X one?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Opening a new Tab in FFox (or Camino, which I'm using) is simple: R-click the link and L-click Select Open In New Tab; or press Cmd-T to open a new blank tab window.
QUOTE Thanks
liberator32

liberator32 is an unknown at this point

I appreciate the help but you're both overlooking the question.

I know that ctrl + click will let me open a link in a new tab; that is not the mystery.

I had an add-on or a setting that you change in about:config that let me HOLD DOWN THE SINGLE CLICK ON THE MACBOOK, OVER A LINK, AND THE "DROPDOWN" MENU WOULD POP UP AS IF YOU WERE HOLDING CTRL AT THE SAME TIME.

I DON'T HAVE A RIGHT CLICK. I AM RUNNING A MACBOOK (WHITE) AND THERE IS ONLY A SINGLE CLICK. I AM NOT RUNNING AN EXTERNAL MOUSE.

I hope that helps clear up the confusion, which admittedly, could have been on my part in the OP.

Thanks again!
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

You know you can enable the right click with tapping the trackpad right?

System Preferences -> Trackpad -> Click -> Tap trackpad to enable secondary click.

死神はリンゴしか食べない。
QUOTE Thanks
aek

aek is on a distinguished road

I use jitouch ( jitouch - Multitouch Extension for MacBook's Trackpad )
It's definitely faster than doing all those steps, right click -> open new or pressing command key. But you have to have multitouch trackpad though
QUOTE Thanks
rickatech

rickatech is on a distinguished road

I noticed this behavior for Firefox on OS X dropped away a year or so ago. I use the Thunderbird + Firefox mashup SeaMonkey which wasn't affected - but today after a SeaMonkey update it too now is lacking the hold and pop up menu.

Hoping its still available in some preference setting somewhere - but so far I can't find a way to turn it back on.

Bummer, its really 'natural' to linger holding a link to then open in new tab, copy link, and other alternates without having to figure out yet another secondary key to hold.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adium ICQ Registration request send | Best Duplicate File / Picture Finder App? »