New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Preview problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steel02001

Umm, so I have a few pdf's that I have to read for class that I downloaded and everytime I try to open them preview opens then stops responding. I have never had a problem like this before, actually, i think this is my actual first problem with my mac.

It has always worked before and I have done this numerous times. Any ideas?

There are three seperate documents I have to read and it wont open any of them. I also tried just opening the program alone and it also stops responding when not opening any document.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Try downloading Abode Acrobat in the mean time. Have you tried opening other pdf's not related to those particular files? It might just be those particular files that are giving Preview a problem.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Have you tried repairing permissions?

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Yep, have tried both of your suggestions.

Does preview do anything else other than open pdf's? Will this affect anything else?
QUOTE Thanks
xthisisRomancex

preview works for all these files. JPG, GIF, TIF, PSD, PICT, PNG, BMP, and SGI.
as asked above... do any other PDF's work... if this is then maybe the pdf is corrupted. and preview is not at fault..
EDIT: sorry mis read ur question

I have never seen any other program use Preview. So this should not affect any tthing else.

Try taking you bundeled sfotware CD and reinstalling Preview from tehre maybe this will fix the probelm
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Does anyone think I could leave this alone until I get tiger and that will fix the problem, or is that not the route to take?
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

i think that if you get arcobat reader you will be fine.

QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel02001
Does anyone think I could leave this alone until I get tiger and that will fix the problem, or is that not the route to take?
well if u arent satified with Acrobat Reader, then get tiger to solve your problem. But i recommend u wait till its at atleast 10.4.1 jsut so some bugs are fixed. if u are satisfied with Acrobat Reader and stillw ant tiger, then GO FOR IT !!!!

good luck
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Well I have acrobat reader now but I still want preview to work. I looked in the disks that came with the powerbook and I cant find anything that just installs preview. Is it under another heading or something that I just cant find in the software bundles?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

You need to use Pacifier to open up the individual install packages on the disks...
Then you can locate the package that just installs Preview and can copy it from there.

You can find pacifier on versiontracker.com
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

I deleted the prefrences to fix this problem.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought I would get this easy fix out there.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Outlook2Mac: Your experiences? | Adium is Crashing »