New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

any standalone open source presentation or spreadsheet apps

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

--there are any standalone open source presentation or spreadsheet apps currently available or in the works?

I apologize in advance for the length of this post, but it's late and I'm bored.

My situation is thus: I bought Office 2004 S&T edition with my iBook in Dec. '04. It came with three licenses, so when I upgraded to a PowerBook the following year, of course I put it on that. In Fall '08, when I upgraded to the 2.66 GHz iMac, I did the same thing, using my third and final license.

A year into this computer, and I am sick of running this suite in Rosetta. It's wonderful software, but when I can open Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time faster than I can open or shut down just MS Word, that's pretty sad.

I've used NeoOffice. I'm so grateful it exists; I frequently recommend it to people. But the all-in-one interface is bloated and tiring to me. I'm also suffering from a major case of broke, so Mariner, Office 2008, and iWork aren't really in the cards right now. Though university subsidizing and education pricing brings Office 2008 pretty close to affordable ($47), I'd still rather use that money to keep my social life's respirator running. Obviously piracy is also entirely out of the question.

So, along comes Bean to rescue me from enslavement to Word. Bean is a truly wonderful word processor; sure it's lacking custom headers & footers for now, but it's got everything else I need for writing; not to mention it's incredibly light, fast, and neither RAM nor processor-intensive. Discovered this a couple weeks ago.

Fast forward to today. Earlier I decided to test out Monolingual's "processor architecture" function, never having used it before. As I was pressing the button, I thought to myself, "Office 2004 might cease to function after this." Sure enough, it did. I still have my key and the install DVD, but before I dig them out and start the cycle over, does anyone know of any little underground open-source projects worth looking at for spreadsheets or presentations?

I know I'm both cheap and picky, a bad combination, but if you don't ask you don't get, and I *do* contribute the time and effort I can into helping improve the open source projects I find through testing nightlies, bug reports, basic patches, etc, so I'm not a total leech.

I'm also seriously considering just using Google Docs since neither of those things are a mission-critical part of my computing existence right now. Anyone have a lot of experience with it? If so, what can't it do that you feel as though you need?

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Try this.
QUOTE Thanks
ImageX

ImageX will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5

Did you read his post at all? Hehe, he has already used NeoOffice and is looking for something less popular I guess but still operational. Good luck.

"The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."

Remember to use the Reputation System!
QUOTE Thanks
mbohn

mbohn will become famous soon enough

How about OpenOffice? I've used the presentation app and it is quite good. And the spreadsheet is also good.

(I did read the OP but not DarkestRitual's. I still suggest OpenOffice.)

www.dynostep.com
engine simulation software
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImageX View Post
Did you read his post at all? Hehe, he has already used NeoOffice and is looking for something less popular I guess but still operational. Good luck.
I've found OpenOffice's UI to be far less bloated and clunky compared to NeoOffice's Java-based UI. The two are not the same.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
iPod Nano

iPod Nano is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6

Boy. You all beat me to it. OpenOffice will do it, but if I recall correctly it comes in a suite, so it's not standalone.

Chris K.
QUOTE Thanks
Meyvn

Meyvn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM

Yeah. I appreciate the suggestion, and OpenOffice.org has improved for the Mac a lot with version 3.0, but it's still not standalone, it's still bulky and heavy-duty in my opinion. It still feels like using a Swiss Champ to clean your teeth when a toothpick will do.

I'm starting to like Bean for word processing and Google Docs for other things. Anyone else have thoughts?

'cause when it rains, you know it pours.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Adobe Encore,Premiere,Photoshop and Flash | Why doesn't Mail block?? »