New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

iCal Question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Steel02001

For those of you that have seen me around know I am new, first mac yada yada yada. It seems that iCal has confused me beyond belief.

Other than just being a calendar does it do anything if I dont set an alarm? I know this seems broad but what I am saying is does it do reminders on its own, or is it just like I am writingon my calendar at home and have to look at it to remember anything? What are some features on it?

So far I can add events and thats about all I have mastered.
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Another question: If iCal is closed will it still do the reminders?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Well iCal is a calendar app so pretty much all it does is store appointments, etc. You can also have it store ToDos and things.

Anything in particular you're looking for it to do?

As for alarms...yes those will still go off even if iCal is not running.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

It will do alarms even when closed (There is a small app always running that keeps track of those alarms)

You can set it to remind you by e-mails, a pop-up message on the computer, opening a file (very useful if you are putting off some finishing touches on a paper).

You can add attendees to the event from your address book (Useful if you need to e-mail everybody you know who will be at an event)

There is also a To Do section which you can set the due date.

Most of these are accessible in the Event Window and the To Do Window

To open the event window (It probably is already) press Apple + I
To open the To Do window press Alt/Option + Apple + T

You can also just go to Window at the top and open them

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Yeah, it's pretty much a basic calendar program with a few nice features thrown in, and like was already said, it will show you announcements even if it is closed.
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Thanks all. The help is appreciated.

I had been playing with it like all day.

One last question.

If I have a reminder set up (a message with sound to be specific) and I either have the computer turned off or it is asleep, will the reminder just pop up next time the computer is on and awake or did I miss the reminder and am SOL.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I am pretty sure that it will pop up....might as well give it a test

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Good call, will do that right now see if it works.
QUOTE Thanks
Steel02001

Yep, it just popped up later.

BTW, sorry for all the back-to-back posts.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

There are also programs that can set up iCal to play music at a certain time so you can use your mac as an alarm clock... (you can have it set so that it wakes up at a certain time...)
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

yea, I use ical's alarms, if you sync your ipod, it syncs alarms too, and the ipod beeps and displays a message when your alarm goes off, I never knew the ipod could do that.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Fallout Tacticks Brothershood of steel | Uninstalling Applications »