New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MS Office - Built in translator?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

irish_newbie

Hi there just a quick question with a yes or no answer that I can't find anywhere else so please help? I previously operated a windows machine and I switched (Thank God) but in the window's version of office there was a built in text translation tool, however I have been unable to find the corresponding feature in the mac version?For the time being I've been using Sherlock which in my opinion translates text better but I don't always have access to the internet on the go. Please help, maybe I'm not looking in the right area or maybe it's just not there. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Pretty sure it isn't there

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I just checked my Mac Office 2004 and I can find no such feature, sorry.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

somewhere on my mac I found a translation feature, but I can't seem to find it anymore. I had thought it was in office, but it must be in something else, because I can't find it there. If I find where I found it, I'll drop a post here...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

There is the translator in Sherlock which the original poster mentioned

QUOTE Thanks
irish_newbie

Oh well, I can get by and with Tiger there is going to be a translator widget which will be pretty cool. I'm just a bit worried about the seperate environment for the widget. I'm sure it will be wonderful, thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Although I'm pretty sure the widget will also be internet based...

Most of the widgets are just html type codes that perform quick access to internet content (except for the ones that use information that is local - i.e. processor temperature or date & time widgets.)
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

It seems stupid that this has all grown so internet based. I understand it, it keeps the file size down, but I wish more of it became software base. I'm off to find a freeware translator for Mac OS X! I found one for my PocketPC, you'd think Mac would have one somewhere...
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Problem is is that having a translator takes up a ton of space especially if you want to have multiple languages.

QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

What languages did you want to translate between?
Here's a free german-english translator:
http://german.miningco.com/od/translatinggerman/
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

I'm not too worried about space. I've got more than I'll ever need. I do do a ton of photo editing and video editing, but once a project is done, it's on a DVD off my HD. Between my PC and mac, I've got 300GB, and if I ever need more, I'll just buy an external... Really, the only huge files I have, is about 5 DVDs I've saved to my computer....

Thanks for the link to the German translator. I do more stuff in French, but I'm heading to Europe in about a month, and I've been kind of looking at translators to install. I'd like to get a German(now have), French, Spanish, and Italian translator....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cutting off music in iMove | Safari 1.3 Released as part of 10.3.9 »