New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Word Processing for Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Slrman

Slrman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac, 266 GHz, 4GB RAM

I need a word processor for Snow Leopard that will read and write to the .doc and .rtf formats. I had NeoOffice but it is basically far from ready for prime time. It will not format picture inserts properly and dropped two out of three pages of my document when I saved it. Yes, I did have the Snow Leopard upgrade for it. No, you can no longer access the help forums and post there unless you donate cash to them. Obviously, I have no desire to donate to something that doesn't work.

Does anyone know of another, non-Microsoft, program that actually works with Snow Leopard?

If freedom means anything at all, it is the liberty to tell others what they do not want to hear.
Se a liberdade significa qualquer coisa de todo, é a liberdade para dizer a outro o que não quer se ouvir.
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

iWork or OpenOffice?
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of lighttoMACsh is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Bean? (works in Leopard)
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I would try the 30 day trial for iWork, which has Pages as the word-processor. It also comes with Keynote (for presentations) and Numbers (spreadsheets). Give it a try and see if you like it.
QUOTE Thanks
mjfleck2000

mjfleck2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac

I would also recommend trying the iWork demo. I found that I really like Pages and Keynote(presentation), but I am still not satisfied with Numbers (spreadsheet).

From the Pages Help menu, I found that Pages will import .txt, .rtf and .doc files and will export to .pdf,.txt,.rtf and .doc.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Link to a similar thread.

I would ignore the poll at the top of the page. Office for Mac is terrible. The only reason why I even have it is because the school uses it.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

If you're working with .doc and .rtf files, the obvious solution is Microsoft Word.

Other programs can work with .doc files, but none as well as the native app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Office for Mac is terrible.
I have not found it to be so. It has problems, sure, but it is the best for working with .doc files. Microsoft did create those formats, and only Microsoft really knows how to work with them.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by technologist View Post
If you're working with .doc and .rtf files, the obvious solution is Microsoft Word.

Other programs can work with .doc files, but none as well as the native app.

I have not found it to be so. It has problems, sure, but it is the best for working with .doc files. Microsoft did create those formats, and only Microsoft really knows how to work with them.
It's terrible for the Mac. It's nothing like the Windows version. The layout is different and it's takes ages to launch. I do a lot of typing when I'm in class taking notes. By the time it launches the lecture is already 5 minutes in.

The only thing I really use office for is Excel.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Office 2008 for sure. You can download a rtrial version to see what it is like. Only suggestion is to make sure preferences are set to save documents in .doc format and not the .docx as default.

Try Office 2008 for Mac from Microsoft for Free | Mactopia
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
It's nothing like the Windows version. The layout is different...
A very good thing.

Quote:
and it's takes ages to launch. I do a lot of typing when I'm in class taking notes. By the time it launches the lecture is already 5 minutes in.
The first launch is kind of slow; it's about 30 seconds. Successive launches take three seconds.

Really. I timed it.

Office is not the greatest, but it's quite usable. And I'd take it over Office 2007 any day.
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

I have had success using Nisus Writer Pro in every day use; it saves natively to .rtf, but also opens and saves to .doc format. It feels like a word processor should and doesn’t intrude into my writing. Having used it in OS X for the past three years, I don’t ever remember it crashing. And it was recently updated to be compatible with SL. Also, includes 30 day free trial.

Now, regarding picture inserts, it depends on what and how that is done. The Nisus forums feature the staff as well as very accomplished users.

I also use Papyrus which is cross-platform, very mature and great to use. It runs in memory, so very fast, efficient word processor and semi-page layout. However, I have not used it to work with .doc or .rtf files.

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

The layout is different and it's takes ages to launch.

Have you updated to version 12.2.1? For me it is a seven second loading, including Product ID info which is very similar to Pages.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for a cheaper alternative to Daylite | Growl - How Do I Get Rid of It? »