New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Sticky Notes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nkang5

nkang5 is on a distinguished road

Hi, I had been using the app "Sticky Notes" more over a year.
Everything worked fine until right now.
I opened the app up to write something down but I noticed that ALL the notes I've written down are were reset, and gone.
Does anybody know whats going on?
I haven't reinstalled the app or anything.
This all happened overnight, it's crazy!!!
Please help anyone? I had some very important notes.. and I didn't save any of them because I never had a problem with it.
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

ArrowJ is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry, but if you don't have a time machine and/or external and/or off site (read Mozy, Carbonite, etc.) backup you are probably out of luck. I had a problem with Stickies once and had to restore from a backup. I think it was Snow Leopard and I can't recall the fill that stores that info off the top of my head.

If on the other hand, you have a backup it may be that you have backed up that information even if you didn't specifically know you were backing up the Stickies db. Looks like it is ~/Library/StickiesDatabase for SL (where StickiesDatbase is a file not a directory).
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Great tip! I just added that file to my backup!

nkang5, did you find a backup?
QUOTE Thanks
mweissie

mweissie is on a distinguished road

Hi I have the same problem. Even with the time machine, you have a problem. The data seems to be saved in a file called widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist which seems to have replaced the StickiesDatabase file. When time machines replaces this file with an old one, and you logout and login again it has replaced the new file with the bad content again. There is some new Sync Feature which is likely the cause of everything.

Here are the steps to backing up from time machine.
1- Logout of your user and login again
2- Don't open the dashboard.
3- The file is in Users/yourname/Library/Preferences/widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist so move it (not copy) somewhere else. There is now no file of that name in the folder.
4- Go to time machine and pick the backup you want and restore. Probably look at filesize or take a date before the 1st of October when Apple probably made this mess.
5- Go to dashboard and you will see all your precious unreplaceable stuff again.
6- Don't ever trust a single point of failure like stickies again. I am copying them all to a text file and saving that. One nervous breakdown is enough! ;-)
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweissie View Post
The data seems to be saved in a file called widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist which seems to have replaced the StickiesDatabase file.
You didn't say under what OS that is. Snow Leopard, I presume? I have 10.5.8 which gives me a StickiesDatabase file.
QUOTE Thanks
ArrowJ

ArrowJ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweissie View Post
The data seems to be saved in a file called widget-com.apple.widget.stickies.plist which seems to have replaced the StickiesDatabase file.
Are you talking about Stickies.app or Dashboard Sticky Notes? I'm running Snow Leopard and Stickies.app still stores its data in ~/Library/StickiesDatabase
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Alternative to iCal/Address Book/Mail | photo edit application »