New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Best office for os x

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

roadbloc

roadbloc is on a distinguished road

Just curious on which office client people prefer and why.

I have used iwork 09, office for mac 2008 and openoffice 3.1, and out of them all, i prefer OpenOffice, because it is free, compatible (to an extent) with Microsoft Office, has the least bugs and rarely crashes.

iWork 09 has serious compatibility problems with docx and the spell checker was very selective on what it picked up. Office for mac 2009 just sucked overall, confusing layout, slow, buggy and lacked a lot of features.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

I use NeoOffice. Also free. The NeoOffice developers edit the latest OpenOffice source code to make it seem more native to OS X. So NeoOffice is basically a more OSX-native version of OpenOffice. So NeoOffice is my favorite. As far as I know, the latest version of NeoOffice is 3.0, based on OpenOffice.org 3.1.

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Depends on your use of the application I guess. For college and university students, Office is nearly a must as some of the lecturers at a number of institutions get their underwear in a knot insisting attachments be only in Word/Excel/PowerPoint format.

For general users whatever fills their needs but personally am a MS Office user.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

I use to use MS office exclusively for school. I switched because it would take forever for MS word to launch.

Pages launches almost immediately.
QUOTE Thanks
clayneal

clayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of lightclayneal is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s

Openoffice guy here.

MY ADVICE COMES WITH A DOUBLE YOUR MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've tried them all and I use a hybrid of Office 2008 and iWork 09. For me, Pages is more useful as a publishing tool, so I use that when the need arises. I use Office for most of my needs, especially for class notes and other documents. Finally, I use Keynote for presentations as it's simply easier to use and much flashier than Powerpoint. I remember the last time I gave a Keynote presentation, everybody was blown away by the transitions.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
torchy

torchy is a jewel in the roughtorchy is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.

When I needed a compatible Office suite I used NeoOffice.
Now I call the shots and only use iWork '09.

~ 13" MacBook Air. OSX 10.9 ~ iPad 2 & iPhone ~
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

For most of my work I use iWork. It does everything I need an office suite to do at least for me. I do keep Open Office installed for some problem documents and spreadsheets just in case.

I have Office 2004 on my PowerMac G4 but rarely need to use it since the latest version of iWork and OpenOffice seem quite compatible with most everything out there.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
I have Office 2004 on my PowerMac G4 but rarely need to use it since the latest version of iWork and OpenOffice seem quite compatible with most everything out there.
Last I heard, OOo struggled with Office Open XML documents (Office 2007/2008 format). Is this still the case? How is iWork 09 with them?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

I use iWork '09 for Pages and Keynote. I do have Office 2004 installed on my Mac because I used that primarily before I switched to iWork. Office on Mac doesn't work very well in general, and it takes forever to launch. I find that formatting on Words to be a pain, which is why I switched to iWork in the first place.

As someone has already mentioned, Keynote is the ONLY way to give a presentation. Every single time I plug my Macbook into the school's projector, I will invite a slew of questions as to how I made the slides. And as for Pages, it'd say that functionality wise it is as good as Words in terms of basic word processing needs.

I'd say keep Office around if you do need it to open files that cannot be opened on iWork. Though, even docx and pptx can be opened with iWork, so I don't see the issue with compatibility for the most part.
QUOTE Thanks
verdejt

verdejt will become famous soon enough

I use iWork and Think Free Office and sometimes Neo Office. Think Free is
100 % MS Office compatible and works and looks like ms office.

iMac 20"
iPod 5th Gen
iPod Touch 4g
QUOTE Thanks
shades

shades is a jewel in the roughshades is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopard-user1 View Post
I use NeoOffice. Also free. The NeoOffice developers edit the latest OpenOffice source code to make it seem more native to OS X. So NeoOffice is basically a more OSX-native version of OpenOffice. So NeoOffice is my favorite. As far as I know, the latest version of NeoOffice is 3.0, based on OpenOffice.org 3.1.
I use NeoOffice and OpenOffice, but NeoOffice is more stable, which is critical in time sensitive work. I occasionally use iWork 08.

Also, NeoOffice 3.0 is based on OpenOffice 3.0, not 3.1. There will be an update soon that will be based on 3.1.

Mellel 3, NWP 2, Scrivener 2.3.1, Tinderbox 5.11.2
LibreOffice 3.6, Accordance 10.0, Adobe CS4, DTP 2.4.3
OS X 10.8.2
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
For college and university students, Office is nearly a must as some of the lecturers at a number of institutions get their underwear in a knot insisting attachments be only in Word/Excel/PowerPoint format.
Yep. That's how I got into it. Bought a 3-license package to share. Once that was installed, it didn't make sense to pay for iWork.

But, Office 2004 is buggy. I only use Word and Excel. I wonder how seamless a transition to OpenOffice or NeoOffice would be for all of my .doc and .xls files. It was a pain to convert everything from AppleWorks to Word and Excel.

Plus, will I be able to share the OO or NO files with someone who just has Word and Excel (whether on a Mac or with the Windows versions)?
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well, since I'm fresh out of school I still have MS Office 2008. As most of you have mentioned, you pretty much have to use MS when your a college student. When I first got my Mac, my parents bought me MS Office so I never gave Pages and Keynote a chance. Now that I'm out of school I think I'll buy them and try them out.

Quote:
I use to use MS office exclusively for school. I switched because it would take forever for MS word to launch.

Pages launches almost immediately.
This is immediately a selling point for me. I HATE how long it takes to open up any MS Office application. I thought 2008 would help fix it, but it seems to take just as long as 2004 did.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
Well, since I'm fresh out of school I still have MS Office 2008. As most of you have mentioned, you pretty much have to use MS when your a college student. When I first got my Mac, my parents bought me MS Office so I never gave Pages and Keynote a chance. Now that I'm out of school I think I'll buy them and try them out.

This is immediately a selling point for me. I HATE how long it takes to open up any MS Office application. I thought 2008 would help fix it, but it seems to take just as long as 2004 did.
I really loath MS Office 2008 because of how long it took to launch the application. I would have to type in text edit while I wait for MS word to finish launching.

Now I just click on pages and start typing almost right away.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ski Free/Space Invaders | DSM-IV for Mac »