New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Mac Messenger problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Austinho9

Austinho9 is on a distinguished road

First time poster on here... so please go easy on me!

I'm aware that mac messenger has its problems, but the one I have is that only the sign in alert doesn't pop up. All the other alerts (like receiving an instant message, new email alert, etc.) ... they all work. I have ticked the relevant box under in the application preferences.

Also, I am not looking to use an alternative application to the Mac Messenger, as I use emoticons a lot. So is there anyone who uses Mac Messenger who also has this problem? Or possibly has had it before and knows of a way to fix it?

Thanks for your time
QUOTE Thanks
velaquin

velaquin will become famous soon enough

strange...i have this problem too...but the thing is that before I updated the little alert boxes did use to show up when someone came online :S:S:S..i considered mercury because it tells you when someone opens or closes a conversation window but mercury is just plain ugly
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Try Qnext.
It's a multi messenger compatible client that allows direct file swapping too. Very very good and easy to use.

Qnext - Unified Communication-audio-video-multi protocol IMs - Sharing photos-files & music streaming

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

I have literally tried every MSN-supported chat client for Mac, everything from aMSN to Mercury, from Messenger for Mac to a bunch of browser based clients. I can safely say that Adium is truly the best of the lot. You don't have to worry that you will lose your emoticons because Adium has MSN-exclusive emoticons as well. Not only that, it also has emoticons from Yahoo, iChat, a default set of emoticons and Adium's own emoticons.
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYkOoOoO View Post
I have literally tried every MSN-supported chat client for Mac, everything from aMSN to Mercury, from Messenger for Mac to a bunch of browser based clients. I can safely say that Adium is truly the best of the lot. You don't have to worry that you will lose your emoticons because Adium has MSN-exclusive emoticons as well. Not only that, it also has emoticons from Yahoo, iChat, a default set of emoticons and Adium's own emoticons.
Kind of missing out on Video chat, and hand writing recognition. Which are the two things that I miss from MSN messenger on Windows. I can live without it of course. ^-^"
QUOTE Thanks
PsYkOoOoO

PsYkOoOoO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonRequiem View Post
Kind of missing out on Video chat, and hand writing recognition. Which are the two things that I miss from MSN messenger on Windows. I can live without it of course. ^-^"
For video chat, I use Skype. And as for writing recognition, why do you need it?
QUOTE Thanks
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to allCrimsonRequiem is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

Quote:
For video chat, I use Skype. And as for writing recognition, why do you need it?
Yes I'm aware of Skype, and I don't video chat very often. If I need to I do it on iChat.

Hand writing recognition because I like hand writing stuff instead of typing.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
You don't have to worry that you will lose your emoticons because Adium has MSN-exclusive emoticons as well. Not only that, it also has emoticons from Yahoo, iChat, a default set of emoticons and Adium's own emoticons.
+1 for Adium and download it HERE
and for a good alert app you cant go past GROWL. You can tweak it to how ever you want. A great little App ....

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Austinho9

Austinho9 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by velaquin View Post
strange...i have this problem too...but the thing is that before I updated the little alert boxes did use to show up when someone came online :S:S:S..i considered mercury because it tells you when someone opens or closes a conversation window but mercury is just plain ugly
Yes velaquin, that is exactly the same way I got my problem as well. It was working like it should before I started changing the settings!

Thanks for the help everyone, I have actually downloaded Adium now and it looks and works very well. But I can't find out how to use the custom emoticons in the xtras manager? Also, if someone uses an emoticon, normally you can save it for your own future usage, but is this not a feature on Adium?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How To Slim Down My Obese iMac? | Which software to open/view " wmv " files? »