New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Carbon Copy Cloner versus Time Machine

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Benny130

Benny130 is on a distinguished road

Which one should i be using for a complete backup?

I need to partition using bootcamp but i need to backup first. Last thing i want to do is lose over 100gb of music films etc
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Depends on what you want from a backup.

If you feel the need to be able to go back in time to retrieve previous versions of files or previously deleted files, TM is the way to go.

If you want a bootable duplicate of your internal drive, SD! or CCC is the way to go.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Time machine will back-up your files, applications and settings. You cannot boot from a TM back-up since the OS is not copied over, but you can restore your system after a fresh install or hard disk failure

Carbon Copy Cloner will do a complete copy of your hard drive that is bootable. You can then use the cloned image to restore everything back including the OS

And of course, its always a good idea to keep a back-up, as I learned last week when my hard drive failed (I had a TM back-up)

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

If you can .... do both

SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner make a bootable snapshot of your machine at a given moment in time.

Time Machine complements this by taking a copy of modified files every hour ( by default ) so you can have multiple copies of the same file on a TM backup and you can travel back in time to find the correct version of a file.

Also TM can work completely unattended with a Time Capsule, whilst you have to explicitly launch SuperDuper! or CCC so TM is very convenient to have.

However, if you need to do a complete system restore, your CCC bootable backup will be the quickest solution.

There are different backup strategies and my suggestion is to take a step back and decide what you want to protect yourself against, how quickly you want to be back in business again after a failure and how much effort you are willing to invest to re-create lost or corrupted data.
Once you have this figured out, then technology can step in and do the work for you.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

SuperDuper can be scheduled to do backups;

Click for full size
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to beholdMcBie is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin Bl View Post
SuperDuper can be scheduled to do backups;

Click for full size
Collin, where did you get that screen from ?
Is that behind the " Schedule " button on the main screen ?
Must admit I did not spot that before.
Thanks

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

From my copy but it is not selectable unless you have HD connected and yes, then clicking on schedule gets u in there.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

SuperDuper is the way to go. The registered version is super fast however you can use it without registration.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I would recommend SuperDuper! as well. When Leopard was released, the authors of SD! spent quite a bit of time working to ensure that all of the nuisances of Leopard's updated filesystem were supported, as well as ensuring Time Machine compatibility. In that time, I don't remember CCC being similarly updated.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Current versions of SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are very similar. SD requires registration before it's full functional whereas CCC is fully functional since it's donation ware. As a point of interest... MacWorld rates CCC one half star higher than SD. I have no idea why. Perhaps the personal choice of the rater.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« can i play starcraft 1 on my imac 2.66 with mac os x snow leopard | a snooping brother »