New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Growl software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kentsb

kentsb is on a distinguished road

I got up this morning and logged onto my computer to find a Growl notification in the top right corner of my screen. Not knowing what this was I Googled it. I found hundreds of very positive, yet suspicious sounding, reports about how wonderful Growl is and how everyone thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. What concerns me is that I have no idea how it got installed on my computer. I suspect it was installed along with something else that I did intend to install. This is scary, like back when I used Windows and things would myteriously get installed. The preference pane showed that it was set to work with Firefox and Dropbox. I recently installed Dropbox and that is my first thought as to how it got on my computer. Anyone have any ideas on how I may have unknowingly installed this?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

Here is some info about Growl:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Growl_(software)

If you do not like it, download a little free application called AppTrap and install. Then simply drag Growl to the Trash and AppTrap removes all preference and other files left behind. Get it here:-

AppTrap
QUOTE Thanks
mdfuller

mdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the roughmdfuller is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15-inch MacBook Pro

I believe Dropbox does indeed use Growl.
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

If I remember right, Adium installs Growl.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
michelangelo

michelangelo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, OS 10.6.8, iMac, OS 10.7.4, iBook on OS 10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentsb View Post
The preference pane showed that it was set to work with Firefox and Dropbox. I recently installed Dropbox and that is my first thought as to how it got on my computer. Anyone have any ideas on how I may have unknowingly installed this?
Mine specifies DropBox, Firefox, iCab, MuchoThumbs, StuffitExpander, Transmit. I dit that knowingly but frankly ignore if it is useful or not

-- Michelangelo
http://abeille-cyclotourisme.fr/
MacBookPro, OS 10.9.1, iMac, OS 10.9.1, plenty of other stuff
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradom View Post
If I remember right, Adium installs Growl.
According to this Adium wiki page, it will ask to install it if it is not installed.

To the OP, do you have Adium installed?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
fishmonk

fishmonk is on a distinguished road

I too saw this message first time today. I installed dropbox 3 days ago.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

According to the Growl website, not only does Growl get installed by Dropbox but will be reinstalled upon launch on every launch. There are instructions there if you don't want that to happen.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Mac-Forums Investigates MacKeeper - Confused about MacKeeper? Take a look at this review.
QUOTE Thanks
michelangelo

michelangelo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBookPro, OS 10.6.8, iMac, OS 10.7.4, iBook on OS 10.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
According to the Growl website, not only does Growl get installed by Dropbox but will be reinstalled upon launch on every launch. There are instructions there if you don't want that to happen.
Thanks Vansmith, congratulations. The reply and opt-out effective solution is indeed on the Growl website where you suggest above while the Dropbox website is very much silent about this.

There is an equivalent thread on the Dropbox forum Unsolicited software installation Dropbox Forums

I installed Growl first (probably with Transmit, but am not sure), and like the way it tells me things are going on on uploads I am doing. So the Growl behavior with Dropbox (which I installed later) and the way it tells me what is going on on folders I share and on resulting downloads into my Dropbox folder do not surprise me and is welcome to me.

-- Michelangelo
http://abeille-cyclotourisme.fr/
MacBookPro, OS 10.9.1, iMac, OS 10.9.1, plenty of other stuff
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Annoyed By This... | Quark 7 an Snow Leopard? »