New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Safari Wont Open Java Script Items

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

slates89

When trying to open Java script items on Safari 1.2.4 as well as other browsers, Camino 0.8.3 and IE. The link does not respond to double click, when cursor is placed over the item it is displayed on the bottom of the web page. I have plugins java 1.4.2 v 2.1.1 and 1.3.1 v 2.0 and java is enabled in all browsers. Cookies enabled as well. This does not happen when using an AOL browser, but would like to use the Mozilla based ones. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I have never had that problem so far with OSX. What version of OSX are you running just in case I stumble upon something?
QUOTE Thanks
slates89

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7
I have never had that problem so far with OSX. What version of OSX are you running just in case I stumble upon something?
Running os x 10.8.3 was there before i upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

I have seen rare instances where some JavaScript links just plain won't work on a Mac...period. What site are you trying to access a link on? AOL's browser is much different than say IE or Safari and handles things like this alot differently. Java based apps and links must be specially coded to work with AOL's browser, which is why you sometimes see things like "AOL users click here" or something like that.
One of the clients I support at my job is an online college whose site is loaded with JavaScript. Most of their pages are poorly coded and are nothing but headaches to Mac users. Usually though using the Netscape 7.x browser clears things up for Mac users on the online college. Have you tried using Netscape? It may help as it seems to handle JavaScript and Java plugin items better than any other browser I have seen on the Mac.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
slates89

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
I have seen rare instances where some JavaScript links just plain won't work on a Mac...period. What site are you trying to access a link on? AOL's browser is much different than say IE or Safari and handles things like this alot differently. Java based apps and links must be specially coded to work with AOL's browser, which is why you sometimes see things like "AOL users click here" or something like that.
One of the clients I support at my job is an online college whose site is loaded with JavaScript. Most of their pages are poorly coded and are nothing but headaches to Mac users. Usually though using the Netscape 7.x browser clears things up for Mac users on the online college. Have you tried using Netscape? It may help as it seems to handle JavaScript and Java plugin items better than any other browser I have seen on the Mac.
I'm trying to access the TrackPass at nascar.com on my 17" flat panel G4 833 mhz. System requirements are, osx 10.3 , Java 1.4.2 and Real Player which I have. I can access the link from my wifes PowerBook, which has 10.3.8 installed, Java 1.4.2, on Safari. So its not the site. Was happening on before I updated to 10.3 on other java script links. ie: Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, and other numerous sites.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by slates89
I'm trying to access the TrackPass at nascar.com on my 17" flat panel G4 833 mhz. System requirements are, osx 10.3 , Java 1.4.2 and Real Player which I have. I can access the link from my wifes PowerBook, which has 10.3.8 installed, Java 1.4.2, on Safari. So its not the site. Was happening on before I updated to 10.3 on other java script links. ie: Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, and other numerous sites.
And just to be sure to cover everything, under the "Security" section of your Safari Prefs...you do have the boxes for 'Enable Java', 'Enable JavaScript' checked? You should, in the off chance that you don't. If you still can't access it, try clearing your Safari cache and cookies. If that doesn't help, try repairing permissions or running another disk utility program like MacJanitor.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« AOL Profiles | there is no default application...cant open file...... »