New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Browser lock-up due to flash

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jdwhitlo

jdwhitlo is on a distinguished road

I recently installed Snow Leopard and afterwords any browser I try will lock up when I go to any site with large amounts of flash. I have tried Safari,Firefox, and Opera and all react the same when flash is involved. Say I go to ABC's site to watch a show, as soon as I get there the browser will lock up and I get the spinning wheel. Activity monitor will show "not responding" for whichever browser I use and the only way to kill the program is to do a force quit. If I disable flash the site will load just fine (excluding flash content). This happens with ANY site I visit that has flash.

I have search around to see if anyone has had this same issue but none really fit my problem. I have update to the latest version of flash but no help.

MacBook
Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz
4G ram
Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

?? - Probably try uninstall and reinstall first off and see how that goes.

Flash uninstaller is here.

Make sure every application that can possibly use Flash Player has been quit.

(Frisbee Golf has come a long way since I started playing back in '73-'74.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jdwhitlo

I had previously tried an uninstall and reinstall but it didn't work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post

(Frisbee Golf has come a long way since I started playing back in '73-'74.)
I've only been playing for about 7 years but it's my favorite sport now.
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.4-MacMini3,1:10.9.4-iPhone6,1:7.1.2

Here's a link to Adobe's Flash archive. I personally run v9 on my system as it seems to have less issues with ramping up CPU cycles and causing general mayhem.

Archived Flash Players available for testing purposes

Here's a link to the Adobe uninstaller:

How to uninstall the Adobe Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control

Here's a link to ClickToFlash, which allows you to disable flash in your browser:

Macsimum News - MacOSG: How to surf faster, keep your laptop running cooler and extend battery life

Yes, I hate Flash as well!
-Dave

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
jdwhitlo

I found some information on deleting the "com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist" file in preferences and so far it seems to be working... I just hope it keeps working... Thanks for your help!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

fyi: Issues with a single app can often be fixed by deleting it's plist (preference) file(s).

The other thing to try is repair permissions. Have a lot of people saying it does nothing, but I've seen some pretty strange stuff start working again.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quicken 2007 Crashes when I try opening | Mail Not Working With Gmail All Of A Sudden »