New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Want to use a webcam on msn messenger... virtual pc?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bellastrada

bellastrada is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb

I want to buy a webcam to go on msn messenger because everybody that I know use webcams on messenger with a pc!

I already know that the mac version of messenger does'nt support webcam so, what is the best way to use a webcam and msn messenger anyway? I heard about a software call virtual pc... will it work on a emac? How it work and will it work?

Somebody already use it this way or have another advice..
Thank!

:cool: The day Microsoft makes something that doesn’t suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners... !

www.icompositions.com/artists/avanos68
QUOTE Thanks
mdavis71

mdavis71 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook

Someone said that microsoft was about to release a new version of the messenger for the mac with web cam support, might be worth waiting it out if they still plan on releasing it.
QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

Mac Specs: IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb

Thanks for this advice mdavis71, but it's been 3 years now that microsoft was suppose to have launch a mac version of messenger that can support a webcam! I don't know why, but I think that it's in there interest to keep it this way... Maybe they think that it will force us to buy a PC and use more microsoft produts!

:cool: The day Microsoft makes something that doesn’t suck is probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners... !

QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

I was right! Webcam Support will not be expecte till 2006 in Messenger 6 for Mac!!
REF: http://r-james.myby.co.uk/mac/msnmessenger/latest.php

So, somebody have another solution?

QUOTE Thanks
tajjster

Anyone feel like hacking their webcam protocol, and either:
a) developing a new msn client for mac
b) integrating it into an existing msn client for mac
c) integrating it into an exisitng non-msn client for mac, and include msn support?

Alternatively, and I say this but I don't do it.. you could persuade your friends to use AOL, and hence you could use iChat? I'm in Australia, so most of my friends, like yours, use msn, which is a bugger
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

Wow, it really must just vary upon the area that you live as to what software you use. I instant messenge a lot, but there is not one person I know who uses MSN messenger near me, all have downloaded the AIM software. I'd persuade your friends to convert to AIM. That's free. For myself, I just couldn't justify forking over the money for virtual pc, which when running, would severely slow down my PB, than spending it on say, an accessory, or putting it in "the fund" for like a 1 GB ram stick or something.
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

yahoo instant messenger supports webcams

QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

HUM!?! Unfortunately I can't make all of my friends change to AIM or Yahoo.. Why they would to that, for the only «weirdo» that use a Mac among them!! ha! ha!
So nobody have a solution or tried a webcam with virtual pc?

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellastrada
HUM!?! Unfortunately I can't make all of my friends change to AIM or Yahoo.. Why they would to that, for the only «weirdo» that use a Mac among them!! ha! ha!
So nobody have a solution or tried a webcam with virtual pc?
well apparently you are smarter than your friends

QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

The question I would like to know is who uses MSN Messenger? Lol. No one on Staten Island I can say that much. Most of us have AOL for Broadband. Only me and my other friend haved Mac's but I find AIM or AOL the best means of communication.
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfreap24
well apparently you are smarter than your friends
fearless..im not sure about the exact guidelines but isn't linking to other mac forums prohibited? (even in your signature)
QUOTE Thanks
bellastrada

iDVFH there's a lot of people that use msn messenger! But if you take Yahoo messenger for exemple, that's the most popular in Europe, AIM is more popular in US than other countries I think, and msn messenger is more popular in Quebec, Canada... The world is larger than Staten Island my dear friend!

QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDVFH.
fearless..im not sure about the exact guidelines but isn't linking to other mac forums prohibited? (even in your signature)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forum Rules
Signature Rules:
You can have one (1) image in your signature

This image can be 480 pixels wide and 80 pixel high ( IE: 480x80 )

This image can be up to 15K in filesize

You may have 4 lines of text in ADDITION to the image

You may have as many links as you like, just adhere to the 4 lines rule
the links are fine, taking care of the pic now.

QUOTE Thanks
solidstalin

solidstalin is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac G5

I have the same problem, MSN 6.0 for mac will be in 2006 and Mercury Messenger does "Video Conference" but thats one way only....
QUOTE Thanks
chocciekid

I suggest mercury messenger, basically its msn 7 (the beta version) for mac, you can see cam but you can't show off your cam If you see what I mean. Take a look at the apple site on the downloads page, they have some great alternitives to msn.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't open exe files on mac | entourage issues »