New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

MacBook - lost all pictures....

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

anthony k

anthony k is on a distinguished road

hard drive was near full on my macbook. on the advise of apple support i went out and bought a external HD formated for MAC. followed the directions, drag and dropped 4 years worth of pics on to the ext hd. closed iphoto on the mac book, opened it from the external hd.....all pics were there. ejected the HD, deleted all the pics off the macbook. now when i plug the HD back in all the pics are gone off of i photo!!!!!!!!! from the ext HD!!! WTF!!!!!! i am steaming ****** off right now
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

Right now i would go ahead very carefully as there is a good chance your can recover your pics. Any chance you can take MacBook and Ext HD into a Genius Bar and get them to go thru the files and recover them. Have u already emptied the trash - if no - dont.
QUOTE Thanks
sonic9t9

sonic9t9 can only hope to improve

How do you know Iphoto just isn't looking for the old links to the same pictures on your hd on laptop.??? I know that's a problem with itunes like if you move the music... Your computer always knew them to be on the computer hd.. Maybe go about it a different way.
QUOTE Thanks
Oneironaut

Oneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really niceOneironaut is just really nice
Mac Specs: 21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Sounds to me that there must be something in iPhoto preferences that allows you to change the library location. iPhoto may be looking for your pics in the old location and may need to be told that it's now on this external hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

This won't help for this time....

I read stories like this on forums all the time. "I moved this, verified it was in the new location, deleted the old ones, now they're all gone."

Step one: good. Step two: good. Step three: bad.

I never delete anything immediately after verifying the transfer appears to have worked. Let it sit next time, for several days... weeks, even months. (I've kept originals around for over a year!) Work with it, get comfortable that it's really there. Create a test file and see if all manipulations with it behave as expected. Is it on the hard drive or really on the external drive? Be sure B4 you delete.

If you can't leave the originals on the hard drive, create two copies somehow, even if it takes 100 CD/DVDs.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - 10.9.3 & iPad - iOS 5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony k View Post
hard drive was near full on my macbook. on the advise of apple support i went out and bought a external HD formated for MAC. followed the directions, drag and dropped 4 years worth of pics on to the ext hd. closed iphoto on the mac book, opened it from the external hd.....all pics were there. ejected the HD, deleted all the pics off the macbook. now when i plug the HD back in all the pics are gone off of i photo!!!!!!!!! from the ext HD!!! WTF!!!!!! i am steaming ****** off right now
Anthony,

have a look at this discussion on Apple regarding the relocation of an iPhoto library
Apple - Support - Discussions - Moving iPhoto library to external hard ...

Hope it helps.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
Maliki4

Maliki4 is on a distinguished road

You can try to recover them using photo recovery software. Just scan the entire hard drive (or card or other media) and see the photos you can get back.
Hard Disk Photos Recovery Flash recovery software for compact flash secure digital memorystick seems to be popular and can have lost/found/deleted Problems.
You can easily restore data including digital pictures, images, text documents, songs files, picture albums, audio video films.
QUOTE Thanks
Maliki4

Maliki4 is on a distinguished road

You can try to recover them using photo recovery software. Just scan the entire hard drive (or card or other media) and see the photos you can get back.
Hard Disk Photos Recovery Flash recovery software for compact flash secure digital memorystick seems to be popular and can have lost/found/deleted Problems.
You can easily restore data including digital pictures, images, text documents, songs files, picture albums, audio video films.
QUOTE Thanks
toMACsh

toMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to alltoMACsh is a name known to all
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo

3 months old

I hope by now the OP already solved it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« viewing .pages file iWork 09 | Can I run old InCopy CS on a computer with CS4 Design Suite installed? »