New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

I need an app to check for website updates

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jasminerk13

jasminerk13 is on a distinguished road

Hi all. I am new here and this is my first post. I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am a substitute teacher and have to check a password protected website for updates in order to find a position. I used to run Firefox with an add-on called Check4Change. It would alert me when the website changed to show an available position. I could set it to refresh the website at any time increment I wanted to.

Unfortunately, with the Firefox 3.0 update, it caused so many problems on my Macbook. After about 7 months of frustration, I uninstalled Firefox and have been using Safari exclusively ever since.

Now, I need to find a new app that will check the website for updates. I have googled and tried different widgets, but none of them work because I believe the website has to have a password. The other add-on worked because I left the page open on Firefox and it was an extension that just ran on Firefox.

Can anyone help me? I hope what I said made sense...
QUOTE Thanks
bamber123

bamber123 is on a distinguished road

Hi
If I understand what I think you're looking for, a dashboard widget should do the trick.

Check out 'Website Widget' - Download Website Widget for Mac - Monitor a website for changes. MacUpdate Mac Miscellaneous Software Downloads

Regarding password protection:
If the site uses the slide-down box style which asks you for a username and password (such as http://www.peej.co.uk/sandbox/htmlhttpauth/private.php), you can enter the url with the username and password inside, using the colon ( and at sign (@). For example:

https://myusername:mypassword@members.mywebsite.com/

Hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
jasminerk13

jasminerk13 is on a distinguished road

Hi, thank you for your response.

I have tried the Wesbite Widget before and couldn't get it to work for me.
I've also tried to enter the username and password in the URL as you suggested, and still no dice.

Any other ideas?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Creating a database of clients | pages -> windows document format? »