tajjster
    Unhappy Publisher for Mac ???
    I can't seem to find a conclusive answer anywhere.. I've got Office:2003, Student&Teacher Ed, and it doesn't include MS Publisher. Nor do the other releases of Office for Mac, afaik.

From what I've gathered, publisher is a proprietary format and MS hasn't even released a free downloadable 'viewer', like they have for Word? WTG encouraging use of your file format, Microsoft..

In short, my query:
    I have a few .pub files on my computer.. without transferring them to someone elses windows machine, is there any way of viewing it (OO.O? other viewers?) and/or converting to PDF (online or software tools?)

I have Adobe Acrobat & Distiller, but I haven't had any luck so far.

Help??? Surely *someone* out there is experiencing similar problems, or can point me in the right direction?

Jefe3223
    You may be in trouble, but not because it was created on a PC. Files created by any desktop publishing software are not easy to use in another application. The files are designed to be printed.

Your best hope is if you can export the Microsoft Publisher files (on the pc) to a format that you can open. That's all I know.

tajjster
    Thumbs up Thanks for advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefe3223
    You may be in trouble, but not because it was created on a PC. Files created by any desktop publishing software are not easy to use in another application. The files are designed to be printed. Your best hope is if you can export the Microsoft Publisher files (on the pc) to a format that you can open. That's all I know.
    It seems that way, good point about desktop publishing files, I didn't even think about it like that, I was just concentrating on opening the darned thing! Oh well, thanks for clarifying, I thought I may have missed some obvious tool. I'll make sure in future that I receive all design work in PDF/PSD.

:headphone

Specs:
    iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
    Do you mean Office 2004? That is the latest Mac version; the latest Windows version is 2003.

But... stay away from Publisher files if at all possible.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Yes, unfortunately there is no version of MS Publisher for Mac (which I honestly think is a shame) nor any way to open those files on a Mac.

Going forward a nice alternative to Publisher on the Mac is probably Pages. I also use InDesign CS but it's of course not as user friendly or easy to use as Pages or Publisher.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I can't remember the URL but the other day I read that if you have Adobe Pagemaker for OSX, it has a filter that will convert Publisher documents over. I will see if I can find that url again.

Specs:
    iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
    No, that Publisher filter is only for the Windows version of PageMaker; doesn't work for the Mac version of PageMaker.

tajjster
    Fiddlesticks. I'll just have to look at this file at college. *hums*

Thread Information