E-mailing from iPhoto
    I find the e-mail feature from inside iPhoto very handy. However, is there any way to designate a mail application OTHER than the ones available in the drop-down menu i.e. Mail, America Online, Eudora, and Entourage? In this case I would like to try Thunderbird. (Still using iPhoto 4.0.3)

San Antonio, Texas
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    iphoto mails using your default app, so if mail is selected as your default mail app in mail preferences, it'll use mail, or whatever is selected.

Thanks, but I tried that. I selected Thunderbird as my default mail application (from within Mail - the only way to do it I believe). Opened up iPhoto and selected the mail option. It fired up Mail anyway. Also, Thunderbird still did not show up as a choice on the mail options drop-down.

So I put Mail in the trash to take that option away from iPhoto. I then selected the mail option in iPhoto and it asked me to select the application to use. I selected Thunderbird but iPhoto would not launch it. I received the following error message:

"thunderbird-bin got an error: Can't make a <<class bcke>>.

So I went back to iPhoto and tried again. When asked to select an application to mail with I selected GyazMail. This time iPhoto actually launched Gyazmail but thta's all it did. It did not initiate starting a new e-mail. Instead I received the following error message:

So it seems iPhoto (Apple actually) insists on only the limited options I listed previously (Mail, America Online, Eudora, and Entourage). Not very flexible, in my opinion. And a bit Microsoft-esque.

2GHz C2D macbook
    it not that simple, iPhoto has to contain the "new mail" initialization code for each e-mail program.
    I have never heard of thunderbird before, is it popular enough to be worth it for apple?

Quote Originally Posted by MAC-simus
    I have never heard of thunderbird before, is it popular enough to be worth it for apple?
    Probably not - at least at this time. Thunderbird is the Mozilla-based stand alone e-mail and news reader. Kind of the companion to Firefox ( I just noticed an minor upgrade available to download - not that it will make a difference as from what you say, the solution would have to be on iPhoto's end. And not to get "off-thread" but I find Thunderbird to be much faster than Mail at this point - at least twice as fast starting up and retrieving mail. But I still go back and forth at times.

Thanks for the information.

Thread Information