Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   OS X - Apps and Games (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/)
-   -   AntiVirus Poll (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-apps-games/16536-antivirus-poll.html)

Tuned MP5T 03-31-2005 11:59 AM

AntiVirus Poll

Just wondering....

Badger 03-31-2005 01:23 PM

I'm not worried about my Macs but I have it because I exchange files with pc users and don't want to send or receive anything nasty.

James 03-31-2005 02:01 PM

Same here i have a pc in the group so i keep something working for it.

technologist 03-31-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger
I'm not worried about my Macs but I have it because I exchange files with pc users and don't want to send or receive anything nasty.

Alternatively, you could just delete eMails containing file attachments named "naked_celebrity_pictures.exe" instead of forwarding them to the PC users with a note saying "This didn't work for me, maybe your PC can open it."

mynameis 03-31-2005 04:27 PM

I don't even have anti-virus on my pc.

Badger 03-31-2005 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technologist
Alternatively, you could just delete eMails containing file attachments named "naked_celebrity_pictures.exe" instead of forwarding them to the PC users with a note saying "This didn't work for me, maybe your PC can open it."

What I'm worried about is the macro viruses in the cross-platform documents like Word or Excel. As far as I'm concerned, anyone that gets a virus from email is too inept to own a computer.

Macman 03-31-2005 07:02 PM

I have intego virus barrier installed, only cause I share/send files with pc's, so I don't wanna share anything. though I've never found a virus on my mac yet.
and @ technologist: I've never received an email yet that I couldn't open that I wanted to. I usually just delete junk mail.

TTheInfamous1 04-01-2005 01:13 AM

I voted No. But Im thinking about getting something for the "just in case" situation.

dtravis7 04-01-2005 04:31 AM

Right now I do not have any AV on my Macs. I might in the future get Virux by McAfee just in case.

My PCs do have McAfee because I do so much work on other peoples systems and have to plug them into my network to upgrade drivers. I can not afford to have a virus take out one of my systems. On the Mac so far I can do anything I want and nothing. Maybe in the future as OSX gets even more popular, virus's might be made for it, but right now, it can not hurt to have an AntiVirus program just to be safe, but I have not seen any Virus for OSX. If I have to go to a site that I do not trust, I go there with the Mac. That way I am safe!

Aptmunich 04-01-2005 05:23 AM

Why bother? My e-mail provider filters most viruses, and even if I passed one on to a pc user, they're the ones who should be using anti-virus programs not me.

Besides - I've yet to receive one on my mac and even if I did, I doubt I'd be stupid enough to manually forward it to people.

Sticky 04-01-2005 06:13 AM

I don't use any, though I do wonder at times if I should :S

mig.gentry 04-01-2005 07:04 AM

i said yes but only cos i get it for free from my uni.
not found anything yet :headphone

TTheInfamous1 04-01-2005 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtravis7
Maybe in the future as OSX gets even more popular, virus's might be made for it, but right now, it can not hurt to have an AntiVirus program just to be safe, but I have not seen any Virus for OSX. If I have to go to a site that I do not trust, I go there with the Mac. That way I am safe!

I agree. In the future when the OSX is more popular and virus writters see that they can take more down, AV protection will be a must. IMO, I dont think the future is that far away before someone writes a virus for the OSX. Its sucks but it'll happen.