New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Microsoft Office 2008 Won't Install On Snow Leopard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

electrolemon

electrolemon is on a distinguished road

So I installed Snow Leopard last night, and everything's been going smoothly; that is, until I needed to reinstall Microsoft Office 2008. I uninstalled it when it was buggy, as I figured it was a simple issue that could be fixed with a reinstall, but now it refuses to even install.

I can get through the installer, up until the point where it tells me to select the components to install, and then when I click "Install"- nothing happens. Here's a video of exactly what's happening, to better diagnose the problem. Anyone care to help me figure out what's going on?
QUOTE Thanks
electrolemon

Okay, so now I have Office installed thanks to terminal commands, but whenever I open an application in Office '08, it gives me the dock's "Application Not Responding" message, and I can't use it. Help?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You need to install Rosetta in order to install Office 2008.

The installer requires it, but the Office app itself doesn't.

Put your SL disk back in the machine and open it up. Select the Optional Installs folder and then the Optional Installs.mpkg. Go through that and select Rosetta when you get there - these options show up after you agree to the license.

(edit: if you managed to force the install in terminal without Rosetta, you probably still do not have a good install of the app.)

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
g725s

g725s is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL

Can you uninstall Rosetta after you use it like that?
QUOTE Thanks
electrolemon

I'm trying to install Rosetta, but it does the same thing that Office does, namely greying out the Install button and not allowing me to install it, even though it's only a 1.5mb install.
QUOTE Thanks
leopard-user1

leopard-user1 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, not unibody

I had to install Rosetta when trying to use Windows Media Player. My system just downloaded and installed it for me. You have the Rosetta installer up and running.... maybe you forgot something way back in the process? I seem to remember that Installer can only install one thing at a time. It has to wait for one process to finish to start another one. Was your Office installer still running when you tried to install Rosetta?

(from scienceteecher.com)
17" MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.2 Snow Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
electrolemon

Thanks for the help, guys, but I got it working by going into safe mode and adding another, new Admin account.
QUOTE Thanks
tuthelimit

tuthelimit is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Hi,
I am having the same issue as the above poster. I installed Snow Leopard and am unable to open an MS Office Mac 2008 program. I reinstalled SL and selected Rosetta, but I still can't get the programs to load.

My next step is to reinstall Office Mac. I will keep you all posted.

-Richard
QUOTE Thanks
tuthelimit

Still no luck... I am on hold with Microsoft now. This has become a total disaster.
QUOTE Thanks
tuthelimit

Update,

I got MS Word to function from the safe mode, but I can't get it to boot normally. I tired creating another user, no luck.

Its appears to be a font problem.

Next step is erasing the hard drive...
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuthelimit View Post
Update,

I got MS Word to function from the safe mode, but I can't get it to boot normally. I tired creating another user, no luck.

Its appears to be a font problem.

Next step is erasing the hard drive...
Before you erase the hard drive, try cleaning out all your startup items. They can be found in several places:

1. System Preferences, Accounts, Login Items. (remove all)

2. /Library/StartupItems/ (move any folders you find there to the desktop)

Reboot SL and open MS Office again.

As a note... My MS Office 2008 works OK in Snow Leopard but I noticed that it does take a bit longer to start because it scans the font folder. I guess it does this to see if the fonts are compatible.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
tuthelimit

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I actually fixed it today.

I went to User/Library/Fonts and found a Microsoft folder that contained a ton of fonts. I moved the folder to the desktop and Office opened like magic. I added the fonts back a few at a time and realized it was .tff (or something) that was causing the problem. Microsoft's support team missed this.

Also, I found a file called Microsoft Office Font Cache (12), which I deleted. Doing both of these steps got the program running.

Not...easy...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Remove window's title bar | KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE launching Solarseek »