New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Can't send outgoing mail

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hermz1

hermz1 is on a distinguished road

I have a G4 iMac with Mac OS 10.2.8 (yes, I know it's old). I set up an email account on this computer, but when I try to send an outgoing message, the Mac mail client puts it in the outbox. The error message says that the outgoing mail server requires authentication. My ISP says it requires authentication, but when I put in the username and password, it still won't send out the message. The error message is that the "outgoing mail server:"email address" requires authentication. (Note that the error message that appears after I try putting in a password add that part after the colon, but the outgoing server that is in the mail preferences remains "smtp.provider.net".)

The Mac mail client on this Mac worked fine with a different ISP.
I tried setting up a new user account on this computer so I wouldn't have any interference from previous email providers, and I still am unable to send out email.
All the mail prefeences are entered correctly.
The incoming mail server works correctly as it downloads messages to my inbox.
The ISP's webmail works fine.
This same email account worked fine on my daughter's intel Macbook (running Tiger).

Any idea why it is having this problem? Three different techs at my ISP can't figure it out. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
jim.andrews@mac

jim.andrews@mac is on a distinguished road

i'm having the same problem, please let me know if you figured it out. thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Blackberry Desktop Manager Issues | Help to get Unison to work »