New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
OS X - Apps and Games Discussion of applications and games available for Mac OS X.

Two things about iCHAT

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dgheba

As a recently introduced mac user, i have begun using iCHAT. I enjoy it as a chatting program, but ive had a few issues...maybe those more experience could help me.

1)how do i make a profile, like in AIM, i for some reason cant find the option....

2)I read an article about how iCHAT in their license agreement mention that they now can record your convos and use them at their will??? Has anyone else heard this??

3) Why does my regular version of AIM i download for mac keep crashing on my powerbook....

yeah i know a lot of stupid questions, hopefully ill get some more intelligent answers from you all
QUOTE Thanks
Jefe3223

1) I don't think you can, from ichat that is. This was asked in another thread, and it's pretty much up in the air. I've gotten my profile to carry over for a day or so, when I signed on to aim and checked it on ichat...but it soon went away a day or so after i quit aim.

2) Read the same thing about AIM, I think it's kinda bull. Not like you're going to send the great american novel over ichat or aim (hhahaha, i like that one).

3) I don't think it should. I have it on my ibook and it doesn't. I'd be curious if any other powerbook peeps have this problem
QUOTE Thanks
meltbanana314

2. AOL revoked that new license agreement because of the unholy amount of hate mail and complaints they got.

3. AOL knows that iChat is the dominant AOL IM application for OS X so they don't care what kind of crapola they release for OS X. Stick with iChat.
QUOTE Thanks
Desolate One

As been said 1) You can't. But who cares. Unless of course you're cruising AOL for "asterisk asterisk asterisk" If ya know wot I mean.

2) Don't send nuclear schematics over AIM to your mates in the middle east. It's just not a good idea.

3) Meltbanana always says it best. Refer to the above.

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
Tuned MP5T

I downloaded AIM this past weekend and 30 minutes later removed it. AIM sucks stick with iChat.
QUOTE Thanks
pstauff

They only thing I don't like about iChat is that it doesn't tell you what transfer rate you have when you are sending/receiving files. AIM does seem a bit buggy. It's the only app that I know that will unexpectedly quit on my iBook.
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

AIM is buggy. It will randomly quit on my Powerbook. The PC version has a bug too. Whenever I turn the program off, I get the "there has been an error" message that asks me if I want to report the error to Microsoft.

I like iChat, but I've been having problems with the audio and video chat with AIM users. (see my other post on the subject, which is....somewhere)
QUOTE Thanks
iDVFH.

For you to use iChat audo/video capabilities you need a DSL/Cable connection..if your connected using dial-up it won't work..and if you are..then I don't know lol
QUOTE Thanks
rs2sensen

rs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the roughrs2sensen is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black

I'm on DSL
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

in the new iChat AV you can have profiles

Buddies -> Change My Profile

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphoto vs not | Disk Utility - problems creating disk image w/Tiger »